Teak Trim Replacement

Previous topic - Next topic

Hugh17

The C34 has a small (about 3/4") piece of teak trim running horizontal on the coach above the portlights. This piece of thin trim has deteriorated to the point that I need to replace or just remove it from the boat. I know I can buy some teak and make new pieces, but I'm looking for other options. Has anyone just removed it and sealed the screw holes? Has anyone found a replacement material other than teak that works better? I look forward to suggestions and comments. James H. Newsome #299 s/v CaiLeigh Anna
James H. Newsome
s/v CaiLeigh Anna
Catalina 34 MKI Hull #299
Universal M25

Noah

Search forum for "eyebrow", there is a lot of info.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

KWKloeber

Quote from: Hugh17 on March 21, 2015, 08:15:46 AM
The C34 has a small (about 3/4") piece of teak trim running horizontal on the coach above the portlights. This piece of thin trim has deteriorated to the point that I need to replace or just remove it from the boat. I know I can buy some teak and make new pieces, but I'm looking for other options. Has anyone just removed it and sealed the screw holes? Has anyone found a replacement material other than teak that works better? I look forward to suggestions and comments. James H. Newsome #299 s/v CaiLeigh Anna

PlasTeak says they can duplicate anything.

Ken
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Ted Pounds

Quote from: KWKloeber on March 21, 2015, 09:39:57 AM
Quote from: Hugh17 on March 21, 2015, 08:15:46 AM

PlasTeak says they can duplicate anything.

Ken

I second PlasTeak.  I put their PlasDeck on the cockpit sole of my Gloucester 19 and it looks great!  I'm going to do the rest of the deck and replace the handrails and add toerails of PlasTeak.   :thumb:

Ted
Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447

Fuzzy

Catalina Direct also has replacement teak eyebrows for the C34.
Larry
Larry G. Trumble
East Jordan, MI
Katarina
1987 #475

sailaway

Some of my friends have taken them off and replaced it with a vinyl strip from a body shop. Looks good pin stripe type material . Charlie

Paulus

I bought a 1''x2" x 14' piece of teak from a boat builder in Holland MI in 2010 and had a local carpenter mill me new ones using the old as a template. 
(enough wood to make 3 eyebrows)
Paul
Cool Change 1989 #944

Hugh17

Thanks for the suggestions. I check Catalina Direct and they have them for $158 plus shipping. I have some Plasteak but it's difficult to mill thin pieces of trim using it because it's so flexible. Still an option. I like the idea of body shop trim so as to eliminate the maintenance. Thanks again.
James H. Newsome
s/v CaiLeigh Anna
Universal M25

Ted Pounds

Send the PlasTeak folks a piece of the old trim and how long the 'eyebrow' is and they will mill it for you.  Just a thought...
Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447

Ron Hill

Hugh :  I've got two eyebrow strips in the attic you can have!!

They have been refinished with multiple coats of Cetol and are ready for mounting.  Pick them up and they are yours!  

I live in Fredericksburg Va about 2 mile off I-95.  Tel. (540) 891- 5297  

Can't beat that price!!
Ron, Apache #788

Hugh17

Ron,

Thanks for the offer. Free is a sailor's price, but I'm located in GA so I'm afraid that a trip up and back wouldn't be very cost effective. It is tempting!
Thanks again, James
James H. Newsome
s/v CaiLeigh Anna
Universal M25

RV61

Rick V
Interlude
1986 Hull #237
Lake Erie

Hugh17

Quote from: RV61 on March 26, 2015, 02:40:47 PM
I used chrome looking trim from www.brandsport.com/chrome-trim.html   :clap

Rick,

Thanks for the suggestion and link. Those are some cool looking trims. Which one did you use? Also, do you have a picture of your boat showing the new chrome trim? I'd love to see it.

Another idea I've come across is RV & Marine Vinyl Gutter. It is  7/8" base with 1/2" gutter channel, UV
protected flexible poly vinyl. Comes in three colors, is flexible, and perhaps most important is that it's actually functional. A 15' piece costs $29.25, so replacing both pieces can be done for $60.

Here's the link. http://rvgutters.com/ezemarinegutters.aspx

James H. Newsome
s/v CaiLeigh Anna
Universal M25

Ron Hill

James : I took the teak trim off and filled the holes with short oval head screws in small stainless finishing washers. 

It took a friend with a C34 in the same marina over a month to notice that I'd removed the teak!! It still looks great.

Just use a dab of caulk and a hand screwdriver and cleaned up where the strip was -  nobody will ever notice!

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Hugh17

Quote from: Ron Hill on May 03, 2015, 12:22:20 PM
James : I took the teak trim off and filled the holes with short oval head screws in small stainless finishing washers. 

It took a friend with a C34 in the same marina over a month to notice that I'd removed the teak!! It still looks great.

Just use a dab of caulk and a hand screwdriver and cleaned up where the strip was -  nobody will ever notice!

A thought

Ron,
That's one of the best suggestions I've heard!

James H. Newsome
s/v CaiLeigh Anna
Universal M25