Transition Time

Previous topic - Next topic

waterdog

We are giving up our slip at our favourite marina, Thunderbird.    I think we have had a boat there since the early 80's.   Really nice marina.  Great harbour.  Close to the islands of Howe Sound.   Really expensive.   $7800 per year for a 35 foot slip. 

I turned 50 this weekend.   We want to pull the plug and go sailing and live on a small fraction of the cash we currently burn long before we reach our 60s.  Can't flip the switch and do it all at once.   We gave up cable TV, home phone, alarm monitoring six months ago.   So now we are giving up the fancy slip.   35 foot slip in the new marina is almost half the price.   Over 5 years, the differential could pay for a year of groceries, diesel, and rum.  Maybe 2 years of rum.     

Small wrinkle.   The new marina doesn't actually have a 35 foot slip.   The 51 foot slip I have taken is till $700 cheaper.   So I am on the waiting list as the smaller slips come available. 

You don't think the 51 foot slip would cause any kind of temptation do you?    Seems a waste to have all that extra length...   
Steve Dolling
Former 1988 #804, BlackDragon - Vancouver BC
Now 1999 Manta 40 cat

Phil Spicer

Does the number 445 ring a bell?
Phil & Marsha,Sandusky Sailing Club. Steamboat is #789,tall/wing-Unv M25XP/Hurth ZF 50 trans.