Keel hull joint fairing

Previous topic - Next topic

cmainprize

The keel hull joint on Mystic shows no signs of movement and does not leak.  My only issue is the fairing over the joint has been touched up several times and and has a couple of spots that need to be redone again.  I am thinking I will blast the sand/walnut blast the area 10-12 inches above the joint and do a complete repair so it looks uniform  prior to paint this year.

What I was considering is doing a 4, then 6, then 8 inch wide layers of glass over the joint then fairing everything smooth.  I would then reapply barrier coat in blasted area and paint.  I was thinking I would use g flex expox to account for the "flexing" of the joint.  I would also do the area behind he strut mount at the same time in a similar fashion.  Most the mark II's have some cracking or separation behind the area where the strut is mounted and require frequent refairing as well.  

The only downfall I can see is if I ever had to separate the joint in the future.  
It's a bit off work but I would think this would keep things looking good for many more years.

Can anyone share their thiughts or see a negative impact.

Thanks in advance!
Cory Mainnprize
Mystic
Hull # 1344
M35
Midland Ontario

Stephen Butler

The procedure you have outlined is basically the same that our yard did for us a few years ago.  The yard also added some backing plates for the keel bolts.  We did this as we were starting to get some minor leakage through the keel bolts and wanted to completely address the situation.  It worked, was a bit of over-kill, but the boat is better for it.  As needing to drop the keel at some later time, yes, the joint will have to be cut, but this is no problem and is quickly done. Hope this is of help.
Steve & Nancy
Wildflecken II
1990, #1023