Motor Mount Question

Previous topic - Next topic

gwp

Just noticed motor mount nuts are backed off. This shouldn't be.... Right? I would think the rubber shock pads should give the engine enough wiggle room??? Advice appreciated. Hope pic posts ok

KWKloeber

Quote from: gwp on March 27, 2015, 02:32:40 PM
Just noticed motor mount nuts are backed off. This shouldn't be.... Right? I would think the rubber shock pads should give the engine enough wiggle room??? Advice appreciated. Hope pic posts ok

All you're doing there is depending on the weight of the XP to hold itself in place and maybe misaligning at the coupling/shaft. 
No they shouldn't be backed off/loose.

Ken K
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

lazybone

The top nut has vibrated loose.  There is also a good chance that the nut under mount has also vibrated loose.  Check your alignment.

From the pic that seems to be the aft-starboard mount which is difficult to access and work on.  I made a cut down and bent wrench just for that mount.
Ciao tutti

S/V LAZYBONES  #677

Ron Hill

gwy : The bottom nut has screwed itself down and your engine is now out of alignment with the drive shaft!!!

It appeared that the top nut MAY have loosened enough to have the bottom nut screw itself down from engine vibration.  From the shininess of the threads between the top nut and the engine mount bracket I'd guess that the top nut could be frozen and/or it hasn't been like that for too long. 

Here's what I'd do for an immediate fix : I'd check the top nut to see if it is frozen or will it turn.  If it will turn easily, I'd turn it 1/2 turn (15/16th wrench).  Then I'd crank up the bottom nut until it is tight against the bottom of the engine mount bracket. 
You eventually will need to have a complete engine/shaft alignment to check that every thing is OK.  Look in WiKi, your Catalina Manual or go on line to get the alignment procedures - not that difficult to do (if you can get the 4 bolts loose that hold the shaft to the transmission - WiKi , message board posts, Mainsheet Tech notes if you have trouble with those bolts)

To prevent the top bolt from backing itself again (I published this in the Mainsheet tech notes) go to a hardware store and buy another nut  (jam nut) and tighten it over the top of the top nut.  Recheck then to make sure all of the 4 bottom nuts are snug against engine mount bracket.

You should also take a "Sharpie" marker and make a vertical line from the nut top onto the bracket.  This is called a slippage mark - so you can visibly see if the nut has turned.  You can use a slippage mark is other places like the nut holding the alternator pulley or on any other nut.

A few thoughts.    :idea:
Ron, Apache #788