First Overnight of The Season

Previous topic - Next topic

waterdog

The frozen wasteland called Canada isn't all bad.   Second sailing weekend in a row with beautiful sunshine. A lovely run into Snug Cove under genoa alone drifting along at 4 knots.  Tied up next to us is a nice Island Packet.   Tracey is developing a keen eye for the offshore worthy.  "is that a Hewlett Packard?"

Yes dear.  That's a Hewlett Packard. 

As long as she wants to drive them, she can call them whatever she wants. 
Steve Dolling
Former 1988 #804, BlackDragon - Vancouver BC
Now 1999 Manta 40 cat

Craig Illman

Some of those Hewlett Packards are nice looking boats!  :thumb:

Noah

I hear they are less expensive than the Macintosh but not as easy to sail. 8)
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Mike and Joanne Stimmler

Have you looked at Pacific Seacraft?
Mike and Joanne Stimmler
Former owner of Calerpitter
'89 Tall Rig Fin keel #940
San Diego/Mission Bay
mjstimmler@cox.net

Indian Falls

Have you looked at a Ryan Seacrest?
Dan & Dar
s/v Resolution, 1990 C34 997
We have enough youth: how about a fountain of "smart"?

waterdog

Yes the Ryan Seacrests used to be my dream when I thought about a cruising boat!   Stoutly built.   Canoe stern.  Cutter rig.    Rudder on a skeg.   Nice lines.  Everything they tell you you should have on a blue water cruising boat.   

Then I went cruising.  The Valiants, Pacific Seacrafts, and probably the  Hewlett Packards fell off my list.   I am much more interested in larger cockpits, decent access to the the water, decent performance, decent layout.    Optimizing for ocean passage when 90% + of the time is spent  on short runs and at anchor entertaining doesn't make a lot of sense to me.   

Tracey's favourite so far is a 1999 Beneteau 44 centre cockpit with a a walk around queen.    The new boats we saw at the boat show mostly don't compare to boats they made ten years ago.   I develop a skin rash when I go in the modern "kitchen" of a Beneteau and there is veneered cabinet door with slidey hardware to open the cheap bar fridge.    Ugghhh..

The only boat we saw at the show that was new that we thought we would love to have was a Catalina 445.   But that's a bit beyond our budget so we'll find a nice used boat at some point in the next few years.   
Steve Dolling
Now 1999 Manta 40 cat

waterdog

Howe Sound in February.  Not quite T-shirt weather, but my neighbour did mow his lawn today..

Steve Dolling
Now 1999 Manta 40 cat

Footloose

Maybe I should move north to warmer weather.  Yesterday morning it was 60* warmer in my refrigerator than it was outside :cry4`  

Boat club opens in 10 weeks :clap
Dave G.
"Footloose"
Hull# 608  1988 Tall Rig/Fin Keel
Malletts Bay, VT- Lake Champlain

mregan

We just got another 6" of snow last night.

patrice

Ok ok
Please don't make it harder on us.....  :?

We had a pretty cold winter this year...  -4 to -15 deg F for to long now.  And that was on the thermometer, not even felt temp...
So the lakes are still solid ice, and will be for quite a few weeks..

BUT, I do enjoy looking at nice pics
1989 MKI #970
TR, WK, M25XP
   _/)  Free Spirit
~~~~~~

Dave Spencer

Looks great Steve!
Here's a picture of our marina on Valentine's Day taken by one of my friends.  Georgian Bay on the left, Lion's Head Harbour on the right.  My boat is out of view behind the two buildings in the middle of the picture.

10 1/2 weeks to launch for me and the Great lakes are 89% covered in ice.  Better days to come!
Dave Spencer
C34 #1279  "Good Idea"
Mk 1.5, Std Rig, Wing Keel, M35A Engine
Boat - Midland, Ontario (formerly Lion's Head)
People - London, Ontario

Mike and Joanne Stimmler

Steve,
I think the Catalina 42 is the boat for you (and it even rhymes)   :thumb:

Mike
Mike and Joanne Stimmler
Former owner of Calerpitter
'89 Tall Rig Fin keel #940
San Diego/Mission Bay
mjstimmler@cox.net

waterdog

I knew there was real winter elsewhere, but now I feel bad.  I am not going to post the pictures of the daffodils and irises in the garden.   That would be cruel.  
Steve Dolling
Now 1999 Manta 40 cat

Lance Jones

We had our first overnight in over a year. Last year, Kitty's Cat was sidelined due to our prop, prop shaft and prop strut damage. We did around 36 miles around Choctawhatchee Bay.
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

waterdog

Nice.   

You understand of course that people in Boston hate you.   And people in San Diego are scratching their heads wondering what we mean by first overnight of the season...
Steve Dolling
Now 1999 Manta 40 cat