new dodger...why are clutches so far forward???

Previous topic - Next topic

Stu Jackson

Ross, nice solution.  Do you have any pictures from the side of your boat showing the angle of the front of the dodger?
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Fred Koehlmann

Can't say that we ever really had an issue with the clutches, but when we had our dodger redone, we had the forward slope angle match that of the mainsheet going up to the boom, so now it is more vertical. The space below is great and the visibility through the front also seems more clear.
Frederick Koehlmann: Dolphina - C425 #3, Midland, ON
PO: C34 #1602, M35BC engine

Fred Koehlmann

Here is a more head on shot. I know the cover prevents from seeing through, but it does give us more space inside. Honest. :D
Frederick Koehlmann: Dolphina - C425 #3, Midland, ON
PO: C34 #1602, M35BC engine

Ross Fisher

Stu,

How's this?

Ross
Ross Fisher
# 1486  "Avventura"                            
2000 Catalina Mk11 Wing Keel
M35B
Melbourne, Australia

Stu Jackson

Thanks, Ross.  I seems that Fred's point about the front of the dodger being somewhat in line with the mainsheet makes a lot of sense.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

Ross Fisher

Stu,

To add to the discussion,I specified that the dodger had to fold flat for racing. This resulted in the steeper slope on the front screen to allow the stainless frame to fit  behind the traveller without interference, when folded.

Regards,

Ross
Ross Fisher
# 1486  "Avventura"                            
2000 Catalina Mk11 Wing Keel
M35B
Melbourne, Australia

Stu Jackson

Ross,

Thanks.  It's always great when "The Reasons" behind the decision-making process are shared.

For others:  just about every dodger I've seen has been built differently.

Noah

In my (distorted) "perfect world" I would eliminate the dodger entirely, except for long upwind passages. But haven't done it yet... :shock: 8)
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Stu Jackson

Quote from: Noah on March 18, 2015, 05:48:01 PM
In my (distorted) "perfect world" I would eliminate the dodger entirely, except for long upwind passages. But haven't done it yet... :shock: 8)

OK, finally we get to sing: "It never rains in Southern California!"   :clap

I sailed from 1983 to 1998 on our old boats without dodgers here on SF Bay.  Never again, couldn't imagine it.  It's colder in summer here than winter.  And at least half of our trips are upwind.  And we always do the upwind legs the first half of the day.  :D  (...except for coming back from the Delta! :shock:)