Jib Halyard Shackle Broke...How do I retreive?

Previous topic - Next topic

mark_53

While out single handed yesterday in 15 knot winds, the shackle on the jib halyard broke when the jib was fully raised.  It started to fall so I could not use the roller furling to bring in.  Went forward and pulled it all the way down.  Is there a way of getting the halyard down without climbing the mast?  Thanks

Gary Brockman

Squall
1986 Hull #231
Tall Rig/Fin Keel - Elliptical Rudder
M25XPB - Flexofold 2 Blade 15x10
Marina del Rey, California

sailaway

My marina has a manlift  JLG they use to work on rigging makes life easy. Charlie

KWKloeber

Quote from: mark_53 on February 17, 2015, 07:42:41 AM
While out single handed yesterday in 15 knot winds, the shackle on the jib halyard broke when the jib was fully raised.  It started to fall so I could not use the roller furling to bring in.  Went forward and pulled it all the way down.  Is there a way of getting the halyard down without climbing the mast?  Thanks

Bosuns chair, shinny, crane, bucket truck!  No free rides with that one.

kk
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Ron Hill

Mark : Ken's got the right idea, unless you can "leap buildings in a single bound"!!
Ron, Apache #788

KWKloeber

Quote from: Ron Hill on February 17, 2015, 02:13:23 PM
Mark : Ken's got the right idea, unless you can "leap buildings in a single bound"!!

Water-side restaurant with a very low wall and very high overhanging outside deck?

Safe, calm anchorage with a low-hanging bridge? 
Be sure to capture that one on video.     ....Disaster strikes on the water; Film at 11.

Believe it or not, I've actually heard of someone with a 30, whipping a huge treble hook and attaching a tag line to his 2nd jib halyard, and snatching and hauling the errant line back down. 

No verification/video on that one!  Probably an "Oh yeah?  Well, you should see the time that I......" 
Point the barbs facing downward! 

I suppose anything's possible.... I once retrieved a 3/4" dia plastic tube, I dropped 20 feet down in a well, by snatching it with the hook on a 25-foot metal tape measure.  You go, Lufkin!

Ken K
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.

KWKloeber

QUESTION -  if she parted at the shackle, what's left that's keeping the halyard from slipping down into the mast?  Just the remains of the buried eye splice?

If you drop the jib, what's your forestay set up --  could you fashion a PVC tube w/an an attached extended hook/barb and tag line to ride up on it?

KK

KWKloeber

Okay, let's get serious here.....

See...

http://shop.beneteauowners.com/prod.php?52000

http://www.wavetrain.net/techniques-a-tactics/599-retrieving-lost-halyards-cheap-trick-that-works

http://theboatgalley.com/potato-masher-bosuns-chair/n   
(I am thinking ....... "bend/adjust the tangs on a hand-variety garden cultivator.)  http://www.harborfreight.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/i/m/image_21988.jpg
Or maybe there would be better control having the tag line on the end of a long-handle cultivator or "potato hook"?

Raise a pooper scooper with a tag line to control position and and a trip line for the jaws?
http://www.mypoochiesparadise.com/web_images/grip___grab_pooper_scoopers.jpg

KK

mark_53

Quote from: KWKloeber on February 17, 2015, 02:51:41 PM
QUESTION -  if she parted at the shackle, what's left that's keeping the halyard from slipping down into the mast?  Just the remains of the buried eye splice?

I'm not sure what's up there.  Will have to look with binoculars today.  The shackle on the head had a screw-in pin.  The pin pulled out of the threads and is gone. It may have been attached to part of the furling setup.

If you drop the jib, what's your forestay set up --  could you fashion a PVC tube w/an an attached extended hook/barb and tag line to ride up on it?

KK

Good idea!  That sounds like a possibility if I can see the end of the halyard.  A drone would come in handy in this situation.

KWKloeber

Quote from: mark_53 on February 17, 2015, 03:23:07 PM
QUESTION -  if she parted at the shackle, what's left that's keeping the halyard from slipping down into the mast?  Just the remains of the buried eye splice?

I'm not sure what's up there.  Will have to look with binoculars today.  The shackle on the head had a screw-in pin.  The pin pulled out of the threads and is gone. It may have been attached to part of the furling setup.

If you drop the jib, what's your forestay set up --  could you fashion a PVC tube w/an an attached extended hook/barb and tag line to ride up on it?

KK

Good idea!  That sounds like a possibility if I can see the end of the halyard.  A drone would come in handy in this situation.

So there's no part of the halyard left on the shackle?  Only a spot for missing clevis pin? 
Unless I am picturing this wrong, in that case you should have the eye splice,, or eye splice/thimble left on the halyard.   

Could make it a lot easier for any DOMASS to grab it  (Drone Operable Maritime Articulated Shackle Snatcher.)  :rolling
Let's get DARPA right on it!   :clap

kk

mark_53

Quote from: KWKloeber on February 17, 2015, 03:49:27 PM

So there's no part of the halyard left on the shackle?  Only a spot for missing clevis pin? 
Unless I am picturing this wrong, in that case you should have the eye splice,, or eye splice/thimble left on the halyard.   

There should be something unless the halyard was tied to the pin that pulled out. :cry4`

KWKloeber

Quote from: mark_53 on February 17, 2015, 03:59:32 PM

There should be something unless the halyard was tied to the pin that pulled out. :cry4`

Well in that case the knot may likely still be intact (maybe with pin thru it.)  Still, it makes it a whole lot easier to snatch than just a hump made by the buried tail of an eye splice.

KK

Fred Koehlmann

And I always thought going up the mast was half the fun! :wink:
Frederick Koehlmann: Dolphina - C425 #3, Midland, ON
PO: C34 #1602, M35BC engine

lazybone

I witnessed a dock neighbor use an extension ladder from the cockpit. :?

I like going up the mast but  finding mules to grind my fat a$$ up there is the problem.
Ciao tutti

S/V LAZYBONES  #677

KWKloeber

Quote from: lazybone on February 18, 2015, 04:49:35 AM
I witnessed a dock neighbor use an extension ladder from the cockpit. :?

I like going up the mast but  finding mules to grind my fat a$$ up there is the problem.

One of my C-30 brethren fabricated the ultimate --- a winch system that affixes to the mast using a Harbor Freight 12-volt winch, handheld remote, and HEAVY battery cables.

No action videos, though.

Ken

[attach=#]

[attach=#]

[attach=#]

[attach=#]