Forward Hatch replacement

Previous topic - Next topic

stlandis

I am looking to buy a late 80S boat, but prefer the clear forward hatches of the newer models. Does anyone know of an easy way to get a clear forward hatch over the vee berth?

dave davis

I have a 1988 model and it has a overhead clear hatch made by Bomar which is a Div of Pompanette Inc. They can be reached at www.pompanette.com or Email  pompanette@aol.com  I don't know who made those solid fiberglass hatches I have seen on earliar models. You might ask CY...
Good luck...Dave
Dave Davis San Francisco, 707, Wind Dragon, 1988, South Beach

stlandis

Amazing response time! This is some fleet! I can't tell from the cruising concepts pic if that hatch is really sturdy enough, has anyone tried one? but I am going to try to buy a Cat 34 this weekend!

Stu Jackson

Good luck on finding and buying a C34.  All the best.

One thing you MAY want to consider:  many of us have bought the boat because of the aft cabin.  After either nanoseconds or years, many of us have moved up forward to the V berth.  I think it's because so many of us had poor earlier experiences with V berths being too narrow, or short or both, or didn't give it a try.

In our case, our son appropriated the V berth, and we've had to gently convince him the aft cabin is better for him!

That's because, on the C34, the V berth is MASSIVE.

If you ever plan to sleep in (past sunrise, that is) in the V berth, you may appreciate the solid hatch we have on our 1986 boat.

One of our members is making (and perhaps still selling) covers for the see-through forward hatches.  They keep it darker longer.

So, don't let the hatch type make your decision on the boat, and before you swap it out for a clear one, give it a full night's try out.  

Shucks, what a great excuse to stay overnight on the boat!!!
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

mvazmina

I agree with all of the above. We have 1986 with a solid hatch and see no need to change. During the day it is normally open to allow light and ventilation and at night sleeping is undisturbed.

kenkillian

We put the Lexan from Cruising Concepts on our 1986 and it is wonderful.  Yes, it it extremely tough and durable.  It is quite thick, guessing about 5/8 of an inch, possibly more. I have stepped on it, fallen on it and dropped things on it without a scratch.  In addition the people at Cruising Concepts are great to work with.  I strongly recommend it. :)

Ed Shankle

Hi all,
I'm looking to replace the forward hatch this season. Is the general concensus that the Lexan hatch from Cruising Concepts is still the way go?

thanks,
Ed
Tail Wind #866
Ed Shankle
Tail Wind #866 1989 m25xp
Salem, MA

Alohman

We have a 1986 C34 with the original hatch replaced with a Lexan hatch from cruising concepts.  We really like the clear hatch.  Yes it lets the morning light in when you are sleeping, but it lets the light in during the rest of the day as well, which is what we wanted.  We made a snap cover that installs at night over the hatch opening, easy to get off in a hurry when necessary, allows us to sleep in, and the lexan hatch during the rest of the day is great.

p/s considering move to a larger boat and our c34, heavily upgraded, is up for sale.  allohman@aol.com