Engine Mounts

Previous topic - Next topic

ansusna

My wife and I along with some friends recently purchased a Catalina 34 "Cheers".  We had the boat surveyed for the purchase last fall.  The surveyor identified a rather long list of items that we need to repair and/or upgrade.  So this may not be my last question   :)

The surveyor noted that some of the engine mount bolts were loose and needed to be tightened.  The two forward mounts were not a problem.  However, three of the bolts on the rear mounts do not appear to be binding.  They tread all the way in but then just keep spinning.  As a result there is really only one bolt holding firmly on the starboard rear engine mount and none of the port rear mount. Any Suggestions?

Roc

Andrew,
It seems like the wood is not binding with the bolt because the bolt chewed up the hole.  What you can do is take to bolts out and epoxy the holes closed.  Then redrill the holes and insert the bolts back in.  I would consult the 'West System', they have good instructions and many additives/fillers for specific types of jobs.  You can buy this stuff at WM or Boat/US.  You can call them and have them send you free literature on product uses.

westsystem.com

Roc-
Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD

Roc

I forgot to mention, when you take the bolts out you need to drill out the hole a little bigger than original.  Then put in the epoxy.  After it sets, redrill the holes to the correct size.

Roc-
Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD

Ted Pounds

Andrew,

While you're at it you might want to consider changing your engine mounts to new Vetus K50's. If you do a search on the message board you'll see a number of folks have made the change and are very pleased.  I just changed mine, but the Molly Rose doesn't go in the water for a couple more weeks.  Good luck and welcome to the Catalina 34.  You and your friends will love it.  It's a great boat.

Ted
Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447

Jeff Tancock

Andrew,
I had the same thing going on when I bought mine 4 yrs ago. I hired a mechanic to give it a once over and give me some tips. He spotted the problem and just replaced the lag bolts with 1/2" or 1" longer bolts. I think that he replaced6 of the 8 bolts. Also I just finnished switching over to the Vetus mounts. I highly recommend it while you are at it.
Jeff
Jeff Tancock
Stray Cat #630
Victoria, BC
Canada
1988 25xp

kss1220

Does anybody know the part number for the recommended Vetus engine mounts for the Universal 25XP?  Sounds like a good upgrade!

Kelly

Jeff Tancock

Get on the net and search for Vetus. I ordered directly and saved big time. They were less than half the price quoted locally. I believe they were on the bargain page and I believe the mount was called the "Vetus K50".
Jeff Tancock
Stray Cat #630
Victoria, BC
Canada
1988 25xp

ansusna

Thanks for all the very helpful advice!!   Longer bolts..... duh.. that makes alot of sense. Replacing the engone mounts will probably be next year's project.  We are keeping the boat at Herrington Harbour in Deale, MD.

Kyle Ewing

A technique I used successfully for solving the same problem on a previous boat was to inject epoxy into the existing hole.  Cover the threads of the lag bolts with a liberal amount of wax then put them back in.  Tighten them to the point where they begin to slip then let the epoxy cure overnight or longer.  Tighten down the rest of the way.

IMPORTANT:  If you don't coat the threads with wax, you may not be able to remove the bolts later.

Kyle Ewing
kkewing@rcn.com
Catalina 34 #1010, Donnybrook
Belmont Harbor, Chicago
Kyle Ewing
Donnybrook #1010
Belmont Harbor, Chicago
http://www.saildonnybrook.com/

Alohman

After redoing your engine mounts, I would also recommend you have the engine aligned.  If the engine is out of alignment, that could have been what stressed the bolts in the first place.
Vicky Lohman

Ted Pounds

Or better yet, get a flex coupling like I did.  Then you never have to align again.  I got the Vetus Bulflex but there are others  available.  Cost about $350.  Just a thought...
Ted  :cool:
Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447

Ed Shankle

Hey Ron,
Did Catalina provide any advice regarding the Vetus K50s?
I'm planning on replacing my mounts this season, but I'm a little hesitant based on the comments about vibrations at low idles. I saw Charlie Holder's comments on the R&D mounts and asked him for some more info.
After sending that request to Charlie, I was wondering if Catalina had offered any preference or advice.
thanks,
Ed
Tail Wind #866
Ed Shankle
Tail Wind #866 1989 m25xp
Salem, MA

tsoko

Ed,
Another solution is to use the Vetus K75 mounts. They are a little stiffer than the K50's.  I put them in last year and have been very happy with them.

Ed Shankle

Tom,
Do you get the heavy vibration at low (700 - 900rpm) that others have reported about the k50s?

thanks,
Ed
Ed Shankle
Tail Wind #866 1989 m25xp
Salem, MA

tsoko

Ed,
I agree with everything Ron said, and the answer to your question is no, I do not.  I get MORE vibration at very low RPM's, but not excessive.  As soon as I bump it up to 950-1000, it's smooth and quiet.  As far as I can tell, the K75's are softer than the OEM mounts, and harder than the K50's.  I got the idea to swap the mounts from the Mainsheet article Ron wrote a few years ago.  I was also concerned about excessive vibrations at lower RPMs, so I went with the K75's. With a little widening of the oblong holes, they're an easy swap.