Jib Halyard Shackle Broke...How do I retreive?

Previous topic - Next topic

lazybone

I get it.  That winch stays at the mast step and... away you go.

Brilliant.
Ciao tutti

S/V LAZYBONES  #677

mark_53

Quote from: KWKloeber on February 18, 2015, 07:43:42 AM

One of my C-30 brethren fabricated the ultimate --- a winch system that affixes to the mast using a Harbor Freight 12-volt winch, handheld remote, and HEAVY battery cables.

No action videos, though.

Ken

That is quite ingenious.  Wonder what that WARNING label says, probably something like "DO NOT USE TO SUPPORT HUMAN WEIGHT!", but what do they know.

Jim Hardesty

Ken,
That's real interesting.   Personally, I would not trust to only the "Harbor Freight" winch.  Hope they use a second safety line.   Another way is a right angle drill and a winchbit in the regular winch.  http://www.winchbit.com/
For me, my anchor windless has both a chain gypsy and a drum.  I take off the anchor chain, run the halyard to the drum, and have a trusted friend tail and cleat-off.
Jim

Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Ron Hill

Mark & Guys : I damn sure would trust Harbor Freight with out a 2nd safety halyard!!

If you-all look in the Mainsheet tech notes I wrote an article about adding an extra halyard.   
Most of us have an extra used serviceable halyard or two lying about in the attic and there are 4 sheaves on the top of the mast  --  Daaa !

Also I always secure all screw in pin shackles with a black wire tie - just so they cannot screw themselfs out!! 

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788