Fuel Standpipe Installation

Previous topic - Next topic

Paulus

I am in the process of installing a Espar heater in my boat.  I do not have a spare port on the top of my tank.  This is their recommendation.  Would appreciate feedback and also how do you punch a 1'' hole in the top of the tank.  I do not wish to remove the tank. Thanks, Paul

OR
- drill or punch a 25 mm (1 in.) hole in a clear area on top of the fuel tank or fuel sender plate.
(Before drilling hole, apply grease to drill bit to catch metal chips)
- assemble tank-boss and fuel standpipe to form single unit.
- install standpipe by angling unit in so that one ear of the bushing hooks under the edge of the hole.
- repeat with the other ear in the same fashion.
4. Center in hole and clamp in place by tightening nut down until gasket begins to squeeze out slightly
Cool Change 1989 #944

KWKloeber

Quote from: Paulus on February 03, 2015, 11:18:05 AM
I am in the process of installing a Espar heater in my boat.  I do not have a spare port on the top of my tank.  This is their recommendation.  Would appreciate feedback and also how do you punch a 1'' hole in the top of the tank.  I do not wish to remove the tank. Thanks, Paul

OR
- drill or punch a 25 mm (1 in.) hole in a clear area on top of the fuel tank or fuel sender plate.
(Before drilling hole, apply grease to drill bit to catch metal chips)
- assemble tank-boss and fuel standpipe to form single unit.
- install standpipe by angling unit in so that one ear of the bushing hooks under the edge of the hole.
- repeat with the other ear in the same fashion.
4. Center in hole and clamp in place by tightening nut down until gasket begins to squeeze out slightly

To make a 1" hole in sheet metal, you could of use a bi-metal hole saw and arbor.
http://www.zoro.com/i/G4058031/
http://www.zoro.com/g/Threaded%20Hole%20Saw%20Arbors/00106662/None

Or a 1" knockout punch, like electricians use to punch a hole through a service cabinet for a conduit fitting.
http://www.zoro.com/i/G1950873/

Catching the metal filings will somewhat of an issue with either method., but not a show stopper.

Ken K

Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Stu Jackson

Paulus,

There was a discussion a few years ago with a skipper who was doing what appears to be the same as your task.  IIRC, his instructions said there HAD to be a separate connection for the heater to the fuel tank; it couldn't be T'd off the engine supply.

After a long discussion, he concluded that he'd try using his existing fuel supply line.  If it didn't work, he'd figure out how to make a new hole as you are contemplating.

As far as I know his T worked just fine, and he took it off after his primary filter (don't recall if  the T was after his fuel pump).

I've spent some time today looking for it, haven't found it yet, but if I do, I'll get you a link to the post.

You might consider this and see if it works for you.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Stu Jackson

Here it is!!! :clap :clap

http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,4070.0.html

Includes how to drill a hole in your tank by Steve Dolling aka waterdog.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Paulus

Where did all of you locate the heater?  I am thinking about placing it above the fuel tank?? The manuals do not indicate how much space should be left around the heating unit.
Paul
Cool Change 1989 #944

Jeff Tancock

I have a diesel furnace that is fueled by a "T" off the engine fuel line. It's worked fine since I bought the boat in 1998. Might be worth a try as it's easy and reversible.
Jeff Tancock
Stray Cat #630
Victoria, BC
Canada
1988 25xp

Jeff Tancock

I should have mentioned that I have a Webasto...very similar to an Espar, and that it has a small screen type filter in line.
I did have a problem running both the furnace and the engine at the same time until I removed the screen on the pick up tube in the tank. It was clogged so it reduced fuel flow I presume.
All good since!
Jeff Tancock
Stray Cat #630
Victoria, BC
Canada
1988 25xp

Jack Hutteball

Jeff, I have my Espar fuel line coming off an extra port on my Racor Filter, so the fuel is already filtered.  Local installer said I needed to install a new pick-up  tube into my fuel tank, filter it and add an additional pump to make it work.  I have the heater located in the aft port lazerette up high above the fuel tank, but within the height limit above the fuel tank as suggested by the heater manufacturer.  I have never had a problem with it working.  By the way, I purchased the heater from a truck supply company, as they were actually developed as truck heaters, and saved considerably.

Jack
Jack and Ruth Hutteball
Mariah lll, #1555, 2001
Anacortes, Washington

Craig Illman

I, like Jack, took mine off the extra port on the
Racor. It never caused an issue.  My Espar was in the port lazarette.

Craig

Paulus

Does anyone know the specs on the space needed around the heater?
Paul
Cool Change 1989 #944