Catalina Plant on "How it's Made"

Previous topic - Next topic

Roc

Hi all,
Yesterday my daughter and I were watching a show called How it's Made.  It's a show that has 3 or 4 different segments on how something is made.  Each segment only lasts several minutes during the 30 minute episode.  It's very interesting if nobody has seen it before......  Well, in yesterday's episode, one of the segments was called Luxury Sailboats.  It started out by showing how a rudder was made, the stainless steel stock and the expandable foam filler that creates the internal part.  It then showed the rudder mounted to the hull of a boat that was in production.  Then the camera showed how the reinforcement structure grid was bonded to the hull and showed the two parts coming together...  As we were watching, I said to my daughter I wonder what plant they are in, because it still was unclear as to what brand of boat was being built.  The next shot was the deck coming out of the mold with fixtures mounted and then the camera panned the internal cabinetry and systems mounted in the hull.  I still couldn't figure out what brand it was.  Well, near the end of the segment, it showed the finished hull going into the Test Pool.  At that point I said to my daughter that the stern looked like one of the 5 series Catalinas!  Sure enough, the camera then showed the boat sailing, as it panned back to get the full side of the hull, the Catalina model at the aft quarter section of the sheer stripe was seen then the camera pointed up to the sails to show the Catalina red and white diamond on the mainsail.  Funny that the name of the segmant was "Luxury Sailboats"!  I guess we can all feel proud to be in the same camp as Sabre, Oyster, Passport, Hylas, etc.  :clap
Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD

mregan

Don't tell my insurance company, my premiums will go up.  :shock:

Phil Spicer

On "How it's made", you can see a 455 being built.  Go to "Catalina Yachts, How it's Made"
   Thanks Roc
Phil & Marsha,Sandusky Sailing Club. Steamboat is #789,tall/wing-Unv M25XP/Hurth ZF 50 trans.

kwaltersmi

I've seen that episode too. I've also seen another show (Epic Yachts?) where Gerry Douglas gave a quick tour of the  manufacturing facilities.

"Luxury" meaning owning one to most people is a luxury, not a necessity.
'87 C34 TR/WK M25XPB
SailFarLiveFree