reviews on Zarcor companway doors

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Hardesty

A couple of years ago I added air conditioning to Shamrock.  An unexpected inconvenience has been the companway boards.  To keep the cool air in, placing and removing the hatch boards at every pass through is a pita.  So, I'm thinking of companway doors by Zarcor.
http://www.zarcor.com/products/c-doors/index.php
I see a number of MKll owners have done this.  I'm asking them how they like the doors.  Would you do it again?  What would you do different?
Jim

Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

KWKloeber

Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Clay Greene

A friend had them on his Mark II boat.  He had a lot of difficulty with installing the lock that required some secondary engineering by Zarcor.  Not sure of the specifics but I would discuss it with them.  The doors are nice, though - it is cool how you can switch between plastic windows and screens.

We had the Cruising Concept teak doors on our Mark I boat.  They were pretty to look at but they needed a lot of work each year to refinish.   We also did not have hooks installed to keep them open while sailing so they would flop closed when you tacked.  We eventually took them off whenever we sailed, which was kind of a pain. 

On our C387, we have a piece of canvas that snaps in place at the top of the companionway.  There is a wooden batten in a sleeve sewn in the bottom that gives it some weight.  We have a second piece that has a screen in the middle if we want some air flow.  It is super easy to throw it over the top of the companionway hatch when going in or out.  I thought we would eventually invest in the Cruising Concept teak doors but so far we are happy with the simple solution.  But we have natural air conditioning living in Wisconsin (turned on high at the moment) so we're more concerned about keeping flies out than making it air-tight.
1989, Hull #873, "Serendipity," M25XP, Milwaukee, Wisconsin

sail4dale

I have had Teak doors on True Luff ever since I bought her in 2002.  Really love them ... easy to remove and once you get the hang of it ... no problem rehanging them. 

Like it cruising but always remove them while sailing or anchored during the day.  Most of the time leave them off during the nights unless it is getting cool.  Teak takes a little maintaining but it is worth itl
Cat34 Mk II True Luff #1582  2001
San Pedro, CA (Port of Los Angeles)

Andrew Harvey

I made my own doors out of teak for a lot less than $950.00. Same idea, they just slide into the hatch board track. When not needed they fold in half and we lay it down in the v berth or wherever. The screen is fixed with removable plexiglass inserts.
I used the hatch boards as a pattern.

Whether you buy or make your own, they are one of the best comfort upgrades you can make.

Andrew
Andrew Harvey

Dave Spencer

Andrew,
I'd love to see some pictures of your companionway doors.

Dave Spencer
C34 #1279  "Good Idea"
Mk 1.5, Std Rig, Wing Keel, M35A Engine
Boat - Midland, Ontario (formerly Lion's Head)
People - London, Ontario

Ken Juul

Another alternative, not as pretty as the teak doors.  I use a single piece of 1/8" plexiglass to keep the A/C and Heat in the boat.  Works great and lets in plenty of light.  I also have a canvas cover than can be pulled down over the plexi if the sun is at the wrong angle and shining in the cabin or for privacy at the dock. Easy to use, easy to store, easy to replace when it gets too scratched.  I'm on my second in 14 seasons.  It is not lockable, when we leave the boat, the teak slats go back in.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Andrew Harvey

Dave,

My boat, likely like your's is kind of buried at the moment.

Next time I am up and fell motived to climb on board, I will take some photos

Winter sucks

Andrew
Andrew Harvey

Dave Spencer

Thanks Andrew.  Like you, my C34 is sitting on a chilly parking lot right now.  :cry4` I'm exposed to 60nm of fetch when the wind blows from the NE. Fortunately, most of the strong wind this year has been from the west.
I certainly don't expect you to clamber around your boat in the winter - I thought you may have taken some pics when you built your doors.  I'll look forward to seeing your project when the weather improves.
Dave Spencer
C34 #1279  "Good Idea"
Mk 1.5, Std Rig, Wing Keel, M35A Engine
Boat - Midland, Ontario (formerly Lion's Head)
People - London, Ontario

kwaltersmi

The PO had our companionway doors custom made. The frame slides in just like the dropboards and the doors open on simple cabinet hinges. Much easier to open/close than dropboards and more attractive (IMO).

The whole door assembly lifts out quickly and easily if we want to use the boards during bad weather or storage.

'87 C34 TR/WK M25XPB
SailFarLiveFree

Bill Asbury

The Admiral cut a piece of clear plexiglass to fit the companionway and it works great!
Bill & Penne
Sanderling 2005 C34MKII 1686
Chesapeake Bay

Rick Allen

My Prior Boat, a wonderful little Watkins 27 had really a nice set of doors that were easy to remove while underway.  It's on my list of projects for my C34!

Rick Allen, C34 IA Commodore
Former owner of "PainKiller", 1988 C34 MKI, Sail#746, std. rig, wing keel.

lazybone

Quote from: kwaltersmi on January 22, 2015, 07:51:40 AM
The PO had our companionway doors custom made. The frame slides in just like the dropboards and the doors open on simple cabinet hinges. Much easier to open/close than dropboards and more attractive (IMO).

The whole door assembly lifts out quickly and easily if we want to use the boards during bad weather or storage.

Cathedral Doors.

Awesome stuff.
Ciao tutti

S/V LAZYBONES  #677

Fred Koehlmann

Kevin, I have to agree with Lazybones, those are lovely doors.Companionway Doors as Art! I could see us having one with  a dolphin sculpted onto each side.  :D

I have a question about the supporting structure. You mention that the frame just slides into the existing opening, which sounds great because you not drilling or cutting into the existing bulkhead or companionway. So is the frame like a U-shaping, so that you're able to step over the frame?  :think I'm just wondering how strong the two bottom corners are against being pulled apart?

Thanks, Fred.
Frederick Koehlmann: Dolphina - C425 #3, Midland, ON
PO: C34 #1602, M35BC engine

Noah

I also like the carvings. Are the hinges "marine grade"?  They don't look like it in the photos.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig