Cracked Bomar Hatch Lense

Previous topic - Next topic

Vic Suben

:sleepy:

The Bomar hatch just aft of the mast in Surprise is cracked at the corner near one of the dogs.  Can the lens itself be replaced, or do I need to replace the entire hatch.  If the lens itself can be replaced, are there any tricks or special metjpds that I need to pay attention to?  Also, where can I get a replacement lens?

Thanks,

Vic
Vic
Surprise, Hull No. 453

sselinger

I have had Select Plastics in Connecticut replace the lens in a Lemar hatch. Their web site on line says they also repair Bomar.

The service was great and the price was fair.
Steve Selinger
Aquila #1047

Terry Forshier

I bought a new hatch from bowmar a few years ago very cheap. You might search the site here for cost and sites. I think several people have already been thru this.

KWKloeber

Quote from: Vic Suben on January 02, 2015, 01:18:49 PM
:sleepy:

The Bomar hatch just aft of the mast in Surprise is cracked at the corner near one of the dogs.  Can the lens itself be replaced, or do I need to replace the entire hatch.  If the lens itself can be replaced, are there any tricks or special metjpds that I need to pay attention to?  Also, where can I get a replacement lens?

Thanks,

Vic

Vic,

One of my C-30 brethren rebuilt his Bomars as a DIY, and I believe wrote it up for MainSheet.  I will see if he has a copy/info/pics.

Ken K
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

KWKloeber

Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Noah

Earlier this year my 1990 vintage mid-deck Bomar hatch cracked as well. My plan was to DYI it myself, using a local plastics firm to cut a "replacement" acylic lens. However, that plan went off the rails when I was attempting to remove the hatch cover the pivot pin/bolt holding the hatch adjuster arm sheared-off flush in the frame.  At that point, factoring in the pitted, crappy look of the anodizing of the existing frame, the price of new adjuster arm, (and "why not get new dogs/handles at the same time") and the prospects/success of drilling out the broken adjuster arm bolt and re-tapping it, etc.--I ended up replacing the entire hatch with a new one. Cost: approx. $300 from Go2Marine. Easy install, using butyl tape. All is good and ship-shape for me. My advice is; consider the condition of your old hatch (and your budget) before deciding how to proceed.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Noah

Full disclosure: i found my invoice and actual cost was $345
Description: #61008   Low Profile Extruded Hatch, 15-7/16" Square, Silver Frame & Smoke Lens.
Still worth the money (for me anyway)'
Standard Rig

Vic Suben

Thanks for the info.  I'll contact Select Plastics.

Vic
Vic
Surprise, Hull No. 453

Ron Hill

Vic : I ran into the same problem a few years back.  Wrote a mainsheet tech note article on that very subject!!

I found it easier to just replace the entire hatch.  I did replace it with another Bomar, but I would recommend that you replace it with a Lewmar.

The Lewmar hatches of that size have a better hinge and adjusting system.  The Bomar hatches have the cracking prone adjusting system.  I believe that's why Catalina went to Lewmar center hatches in 1991/2?

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

Noah

Ron, they must have switched to Lewmar after my 1990 hull #1014, as mine had/has a Bomar. I replaced it with another Bomar. However, a pleasant surprise, the replacement hatch came with a better adjuster arm than my original one.
Standard Rig

Craig Illman

Sometime after hull #1150, my former C34 had a Bomar over the salon. I ordered a replacement lens and dogs from Pompanette and they also provided the GE Sealant. I removed the complete assembly and took it home to replace the lens.

Craig

Ron Hill

Guys : The point that I was making and didn't explain well, was that the Lewmar hatch does NOT have and adjusting arm.  The Bomar hatch has the adjusting arm attached to one of the locking handles - made for future disaster.

The Lewmar hinge has friction so the hatch stays in the open position where you leave it!!

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Noah

I like my replacement Bomar saloon hatch -- and its adjuster. It gives me more ability to set the hatch at the precise "open arc" desired--which is governed/limited by my rigid boom vang above it.  I have the Lemar rollpin trapezoidal hatch in the V-berth and its adjuster hinge/stop function has gone caput! Nothing lasts forever... Its on my list to replace the hinge mechanism "someday". For now, I am using a teak "dog bone" stick to prop it open. I hope when the time comes its parts aren't corroded in place. A replacement foredeck hatch is very expensive ($700+/- I believe!).
Standard Rig