Water Pump Impeller

Previous topic - Next topic

Vic Suben

:clap  Surprise is a 1987 Mark I Catalina 34 with the M25XP engine.  The engine is fitted with an Oberdorfer raw water pump. I am trying to find an inexpensive source for an impeller for the Oberdorfer pump.

Thanks,

Vic
Vic
Surprise, Hull No. 453

KWKloeber

Quote from: Vic Suben on December 18, 2014, 08:33:50 AM
:clap  Surprise is a 1987 Mark I Catalina 34 with the M25XP engine.  The engine is fitted with an Oberdorfer raw water pump. I am trying to find an inexpensive source for an impeller for the Oberdorfer pump.

Thanks,

Vic

Define "inexpensive"?  The kit [impeller & cover gasket (or o-ring on never N-series pumps)] runs $44. 
I can discount 10% to paid up IC34 members.
PM or email me offline to order.

Not that it matters, but do you know which model Ob pump was installed?

Ken K
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Bobg

I too need a spare, found one on line from Marine Parts Source part#OBO 6593 for $31.95 on sale reg price $35.00  My old one was from marysville Marine part # UJHW-200209 but is discontinued and they referred to the one I quoted
Bob Gatz, 1988 catalina 34, Hull#818, "Ghostrider" sail lake superior Apostle Islands

KWKloeber

Just in the name of full disclosure, MPS IS actually   Marysville Marine Distributors, (which is one of my several marine master distributors.)  They were thrown out of, or chose to leave, the Univ/Wb master distributorship (not sure which) for the WNY-Great Lakes distributorship area.  That's why you'll find JHW parts NLA there. What it does have in stock is selling out.

FYI, MMD is attempting to develop/stock a line of Wb/Unv aftermarket parts (quite often the same suppliers that Wb gets its parts from.)

Internet marketing 101.
Here's how it works- since MMD is at the distributor level, it gets the largest price break direct from the mfgrs (like Ob pumps).  In the past, MMD honored its dealers and sold parts to the public  at retail.  But with the iNet these days, MMD opened a virtueal store and is now undercutting its own customers (dealers) because it can offer parts somewhere near  dealer cost (which is actually ~35$ or 20% disc) for said Impeller.  I would hazard a guess that MMD's cost is 28$ from Ob pumps.

Great business model for these virtual store days, but sucky for your local guys that try to survive and have to buy from their competition.  Oh well, the customer is the winner. Or maybe not - time will tell!

Cheers,
Ken K
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.

Ron Hill

Vic : For Oberdoffer parts go to DEPCO (in MANY MANY Posts)

Also look in Defender. 
Ron, Apache #788

KWKloeber

Quote from: Ron Hill on December 19, 2014, 09:19:03 AM
Vic : For Oberdoffer parts go to DEPCO (in MANY MANY Posts)

Also look in Defender. 

Ron,

Why, when owners can get it for less elsewhere (ie. near dealer cost)?

ALSO ALL, note that several (incl Defender) list "impeller" but that's not the complete kit w/ the gasket.
So buyer be aware of what you're ordering. 

The impeller lists for 35$
The kit lists for 44$ (includes both a cover gasket and cover 0-ring for newer series (N) pumps).

Also, note that MMD, or MPS does not ship cheaply.  It costs about 1.50 to send an impeller kit via 1st class mail, but MPS, Depco, and others will use only UPS for a lot more bucks.  Look at total cost when comparing.

Ken

Ron Hill

Ken : Just trying to help those that can't go on line and look for a bargain!

I always used Globe 815 impellers for over 20 years and see they are about $21 from Defender.  In those 22 years and 5000 engine hours I probably only changed the paper thin gasket 3 or 4 times.  Take the face plate off gingerly and you can use that gasket over and over again (no leaks).

But, I yield to your experience. 

Ron, Apache #788

Footloose

The last time I needed the face plate gasket I bought thin gasket material at the auto parts store and cut it out with a single edge razor blade.  That was probably 5 years ago and I am still using it.  I have enough material left over for several lifetimes.
Dave G.
"Footloose"
Hull# 608  1988 Tall Rig/Fin Keel
Malletts Bay, VT- Lake Champlain

Kevin Henderson

Hi Vic,

Although probably not a bargain basement alternative, I have found Catalina Direct to be a very reliable source for some parts.  When I was faceed with the "first time" purchase of an impeller I decided to spend a tad bit more money and purchase their entire Diesel engine spares kit. Not only did I get a proper replacement impeller (and gasket) I also got a fuel pump filter (with gasket), 2 fuel filters (1 spare after install) and 2 oil filters (another spare after install).  for about $125.  Do I continue to purchase that same kit each time now?  No, however, I found it a great reliable way to get quality parts that I was insured would fit my engine.   :abd:
The sail, the play of its pulse so like our own lives: so thin and yet so full of life, so noiseless when it labors hardest, so noisy and impatient when least effective.
~Henry David Thoreau

KWKloeber

Quote from: Footloose on December 20, 2014, 05:14:12 AM
The last time I needed the face plate gasket I bought thin gasket material at the auto parts store and cut it out with a single edge razor blade.  That was probably 5 years ago and I am still using it.  I have enough material left over for several lifetimes.

Caution to those making gaskets -- the material has to be tissue thin to get the proper seal on the impeller - if not there could be some loss of lift/suction on the pump.  This might not be evident until after a sail and starting her to head in.

In fact, I just had an impeller pump reworked, and Depco had to"take down" the face of the body a touch so that the impeller would seal (due to wear on the back of the body and the plate.)

Your mileage may differ,

Ken
-Ken

KWKloeber

Quote from: Ron Hill on December 19, 2014, 04:48:22 PM
Ken : Just trying to help those that can't go on line and look for a bargain!

I always used Globe 815 impellers for over 20 years and see they are about $21 from Defender.  In those 22 years and 5000 engine hours I probably only changed the paper thin gasket 3 or 4 times.  Take the face plate off gingerly and you can use that gasket over and over again (no leaks).

But, I yield to your experience. 

Ron,

For sure I hear yah about the gasket - I had been able to salvage mine several times (eventually replaced with an N series model.)  I had heard that the Globe 'blue' weren't recommended - maybe too stiff or some other issue? - no personal experience there.  At less than the Ob replacement, I wonder why more mechanics aren't using it?

Here's my issue w/ Depco (just one example, and I'm not knocking them totally here since they are one of my distributors and do great service on pump issues):

Ob impeller      = $35 list
Ob impeller kit = $44 list, so, for $9 you get a $3 gasket and a $3 o-ring -- and throw away one of those.  You're paying $44 for a $38 in parts.   HUH? WHAT?

I've asked them for a replacement "o-ring kit" and a "gasket-kit" but the reply is: "Just buy the other kit - it's easier so you don't have to ask your customer whether they need an o-ring or a gasket."
HUH? WHAT?   That's a difficult question?

Plus they don't ship cheap, so you end up paying another 6-7 bucks or whatever for UPS.  So a kit that I could send out the door for like 38 bucks, ends up costing like 50 bucks. 

Ken

Ron Hill

Ken  : I've always used the Globe (blue) impellers for 25 years and never had one loose a blade!  Of course I removed/inspected the impeller every fall, squirted some silicone on it and reinstalled (in the opposite turning direction) in the spring.  Did that for the M25XP and the XPB engines.

My experience was great with the Globe (Barco) impellers and I highly recommend them over the black "rubber" ones.

I always took my face plates to a machine shop and had them re-faced for a few $ every couple of years.

Probably the biggest mistake I seen people make with the raw water pump is failing to replace the stainless shaft when they replace the internal lip seals.  They forget that the shaft wears and forms groves just like the face plate.  I used to get a new shaft with every-other lip seal change.

I always had a second pump ready to go, so at the first sign of a water drip I changed it out and didn't spoil the day/sail.  Then rebuilt the pump at leisure.

A few thoughts

Ron, Apache #788

KWKloeber

Quote from: Ron Hill on December 21, 2014, 02:19:19 PM
Ken  : I've always used the Globe (blue) impellers for 25 years and never had one loose a blade!  Of course I removed/inspected the impeller every fall, squirted some silicone on it and reinstalled (in the opposite turning direction) in the spring.  Did that for the M25XP and the XPB engines.

My experience was great with the Globe (Barco) impellers and I highly recommend them over the black "rubber" ones.

I always took my face plates to a machine shop and had them re-faced for a few $ every couple of years.

Probably the biggest mistake I seen people make with the raw water pump is failing to replace the stainless shaft when they replace the internal lip seals.  They forget that the shaft wears and forms groves just like the face plate.  I used to get a new shaft with every-other lip seal change.

I always had a second pump ready to go, so at the first sign of a water drip I changed it out and didn't spoil the day/sail.  Then rebuilt the pump at leisure.

A few thoughts

Hmmmm.... I'm going to look further into the Globes, then.  I love the run-dry (15 min) ability.  I just wonder if, for those who are not quite as diligent as you are on maintenance, they are as durable as the neoprene?

I also had a shaft that was worn/dripping - taking down/polishing the shaft in the area of the lip seals salvaged it for a few years.

BTW, the "round base" Oberdorfer pump is out --- to directly replace the Sherwood 908 for the B series engines.  No more the need to cut and grind the flange on a N202M-16 to fit the pump land.   A little pricey though, compared to the -16 pump.

-ken

Stu Jackson

IIRC, there have been mixed reviews of the Globe "Run-Dry" impellers on this forum over the years.  Some like 'em, others have found that the blades spin on the hub sometimes, which is once too often.  :D

Your boat, your choice.

I've had 16+ years of failure proof experience with the standard OEM Oberdorfer black ones.  The one I have in there now was run dry for more than fifteen minutes, more like 20, until my guest and I smelled burning rubber!  "Honest, officer, we weren't really peeling out that fast!"   :D
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ron Hill

Guys : I've heard of the Globe impellers spinning from be delaminated in the center, but that has also been attributed to a plastic center insert. 

Personally, I have never seen a Globe impeller that didn't have a bronze/brass center piece.

My thought

Ron, Apache #788