Maxwell VC500 Capstan

Previous topic - Next topic

Capt Robert

I am trying to remove for maintenance and to change gearbox oil. I removed screw from drum but "retaining washer" will not budge! Is there a secret to removing this thing? It's from 1992, I don't want to break it. thanks

Ron Hill

Capt : Why not call Maxwell and ask the company that made it???
Ron, Apache #788

Roland Gendreau

I ran into the same difficulty and would be interested in what Maxwell would recommend. I tried heat and a lot of prying and tapping and eventually got it off but the capstan took a beating. Then the grease fitting broke off when I attached the grease gun. The remains of the grease fitting came out with the use of an easy out and I was able to purchase a replacement at a hardware store.

Roland Gendreau
1992 MK 1.5
Gratitude #1183
Bristol, RI

Capt Robert

Test posting. Did response I sent 12/10 get posted?

Noah

I see your "test" but no previous post from Dec. 10
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Capt Robert

Update: I spoke with tech at Maxwell service center in FL. He said retaining washer should slide right off, that a couple of screwdrivers wedged under drum should get it off if stubborn. I have already tried this. He recommended getting a puller from a marine bearing company, which I must find.

John Langford

When you get it off, change the oil and reinstall, I recommend taking the drum off and greasing the moving parts annually.

Cheers
John
"Surprise"
Ranger Tug, 29S