Butyl Tape in galley sink? Galley sink drain flix

Previous topic - Next topic

Analgesic

The two drains of my galley sink started leaking only a couple of years after replacing everything.  I used plumber's putty last time at the critical leak-prone areas but after all the great things I've read about butyl tape for leak-prone deck hardware, I was wondering if this might be the best solution for  sealing gasket type areas when I reinstall the drains this Winter.  Has anybody tried this or is there something I should know from a health standpoint (dishes soaking in water exposed to butyl tape picking up some toxin, etc.)?  This is a rotten, hard to reach job I never want have to do again.  Thanks
Brian
Brian McPhillips  1988 #584  M25XP

Stu Jackson

Brian,

Either one would be fine for the application.  When I did ours recently, I made the choice to use PP even though I have a hefty supply of Maine Sail's butyl tape.  :D

This is is a four page discussion about the whole galley sink drain issues with many pictures, as well as what's in the tech wiki.

http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,7597.0.html
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

KWKloeber

Brian,

Butyl rubber would work, although if you used plumber's putty and it failed -- something is wrong.  That seals very well.

Ken
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Ron Hill

Guys : I agree with Ken.  If the plumbers putty wasn't dried out and installed properly, it should have lasted the life of the sink drain.
Ron, Apache #788