Boiling Heat Exchanger

Previous topic - Next topic

KWKloeber

Quote from: Mike and Joanne Stimmler on November 23, 2014, 12:17:58 PM
You might ask if they can repair it if there is a leak. It might be a simple job for a radiator shop. I'm pretty sure they can repair leaks on radiators for cars. It never hurts to ask.

Mike

Has anyone had the "core" of a Hx repaired?  I guess theoretically it can be, but seems it would be a bandaid, waiting for another pinhole leak to open in another tube.

A radiator leak repair used to consist of either crimping the tube (if only one is bad) and soldering it shut, or salvaging the top and bottom caps and soldering them onto a new core.

Ken
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Ron Hill

Guys : I'd reread the bottle of C-L-R, as I recall they do not recommend that it be used on copper.  The outside of the HX is bronze, but the tubes on the inside are copper.  Lime-a-way doesn't state that restriction.

A thought

Also a radiator shop may be able to run a pressure check - if you give them some new end caps and gaskets.

Another thought
Ron, Apache #788

Noah

Where do you folks buy the end cap gaskets and other gasket, online? Ralph: any place in San Diego you would recommend?
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

KWKloeber

Quote from: Noah on November 23, 2014, 03:06:15 PM
Where do you folks buy the end cap gaskets and other gasket, online? Ralph: any place in San Diego you would recommend?

Autozone. 
Cut one from gasket material.  I use the heavy duty red rubber stuff.

Ken
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Noah

Standard Rig

Les Luzar

I bought my new end caps and rubber gaskets from Captains Locker in Long Beach (562) 598-6611. One of my old end caps appeared to have been repaired with solder by the PO. I would have purchased new end caps if they were needed, and I did,  but the solder seemed to have held for the 8 years that I have owned the boat. I watch my boat carefully, so I will keep you posted on how it operates after the CLR bath. But so far, so good.
Les Luzar
#355    1987
Windshadow
Long Beach, CA

mainesail

Quote from: Ron Hill on November 23, 2014, 02:31:49 PM
Guys : I'd reread the bottle of C-L-R, as I recall they do not recommend that it be used on copper.  The outside of the HX is bronze, but the tubes on the inside are copper.  Lime-a-way doesn't state that restriction.

A thought

Also a radiator shop may be able to run a pressure check - if you give them some new end caps and gaskets.

Another thought

The entire heat exchanger is copper with bronze, red brass, & yellow brass fittings though with some after market companies the inner tube bundle is cupronickel coated. CLR is not a good choice for a heat exchanger use the much safer Rydlyme instead or bring it to a pro.....

-Maine Sail
Casco Bay, ME
Boat - CS-36T

https://marinehowto.com/

Ron Hill

Noah : This has been posted many many times and is probably in WiKi.

Contact Glen Mar Marine (800)282-0123 and they have the end caps, gaskets for your Sem-Dure HX
at a great price!!

A thought

Ron, Apache #788

Noah

Standard Rig

Mick Laver

Noah

A to Z Marine Services
1214 Rosecrans St.
San Diego, CA 92106
Ph: 619-224-1606