Prop Walk

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul

I recently got a 1987 Cat 34, upgrading from a Cat 25 that I've had for years.  My first experience getting out of the dock was extreme terror, I thought for sure I was going to damage something! An outboard is much easier to control in close quarters.

When leaving the slip I need to back to starboard, almost always with the 10-15 knot wind from the stern, and the fairway is pretty narrow. The wind wants to blow the bow to starboard, prop walk takes the stern to port in reverse, both the opposite of what I want to do.  The only success I've had is pushing the boat out in the correct direction which is  possible only on the few occasions when the wind is not blowing.

Do I just give up and plan on backing the boat out of the fairway?

Any suggestions would be appreciated?

Paul

Jim Price

Not much you can do when you have less than two boat lengths behind you.  The prop walk is to port and you can't change that and unless you can get speed  (water across the rudder before the turn).  I would suggest either using a spring line on starboard side so when backing out, the boat will naturally turn when line is tight.  You need to rig so you can relaease and pull into boat or you will surely find the line with your prop.  The other alternative is to back into your slip using the prop walk to your advantage and then you don't really care which way the wind is blowing when you want to go out.  Practice a lot.
Jim Price
"LADY DI", 1119
Lake Lanier, GA

reedbr

I recently upgraded from a C27 with an outboard and found the same thing.  There are some excellent notes in the FAQ and message board on dealing with prop walk.  Try the search function on both this page and the main page.

As for backing out of the run in 15 knot winds, it is not necessarily a bad idea.  Tyring to change the momentum of a 7 ton boat in a narrow space with a a breeze is difficult.  I know a few who back down their runs and into their slips for the very same reason.  

Good luck.

C34 mkII "Ambitious"
Solomons, MD
Brian Reed
1997 C34 mkII "Ambitious"
St. Mary's River, MD

Brad "Captivated" # 1285

Practice, practice, and practice some more. Start with a calm day and a couple of crew members to help fend off and buy you time to learn how your boat travels and how it reacts without the wind and current.
This will help you make better decisions when the wind kicks up or the current increases.  
Then just when you think you have it figured out I guarantee that something will happen to make it more interesting. Always have a plan "B".
You can do amazing manuevering with the 34 if you take the time to learn how the boat reacts to different throttle control and to different rudder positions. The key is to practice before you find yourself in a bad spot.

Roc

Paul,
You may want to 'warp' your way out, using your dock lines.  Tie a line on your starboard stern cleat which is connected to the dock piling on your SB side.  As you back out, pay out the line while keeping it taut.  This will stop the movement to port, and will help pivot the boat to SB.  You can loop the line off the piling such that when you get the boat angled (the bow pointed in the right direction), just let go of one end and pull it around the piling and back onto the boat.

Roc-
Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD

Mike and Theresa Vaccaro

Dear Paul,

Ran into the exact same dilema when we sold our trusty 25 for the new (to us!) 34 a couple of months ago.  Since we always back into the slip, we've developed three techniques.

Option 1:
We actually turn the boat around about 50-100 yards outside the slip.  We shift into reverse with the stern about 40 degrees short of the final heading we want it on.  The prop walk will swing the stern around and as it begins to slide to port, we center up the rudder and move around to the front of the wheel and face aft (this allows you to see where your going and all controls fall to hand, although you've got to remind yourself that the throttle is "backwards").  Once we've got water moving over the rudder, we back down.  I'll usually offset to the left or right of the slip to drift down with any cross-wind.  We've also found that in more extreme conditions, it's better to approach faster, but you need to be ready to stop your momentum quickly once you are between the pilings.  If you line up a bit to windward and s-turn just prior to coming into the slip, this can help stabilize the boat's longitudinal axis with the slip as well.  If the approach isn't stabilized, the tendency is to make last minute corrections that are too large.

Option 2:
Approach the slip at a 90 degree angle, 1 boat length (or even a bit less) outside of the pilings with the boat head to wind.  As you approach the slip, shift into reverse and throttle up while turning away from the slip.  The rudder, prop walk and wind will turn the boat rapidly.  About 40 degrees prior to being lined up with the slip, shift into reverse and throttle up.  The boat will continue to pivot and turn as it accellerates.  You'll literally "shoot" into the slip, so be ready to stop your momentum.  This technqiue takes some aggressive throttle work and probably is harder on the transmission.  The idea is to pivot around the windward piling as you turn and begin to back up.  

Option 3:

Turn the boat around and begin to back-up 90 degrees to the slip axis.  We back down offset two boat lengths outside the pilings and make a smooth left or right turn into the slip.  We turn so that the stern is turning to leward the bow is moving to windward.  

Overall, we prefer Option 1, and are never too proud to go around and try again.  When you are making the transition from foward to reverse, you are momentarily at the mercy of nature, so you need to time things and develop a feel for the effects of the prop walk.  Having had the oportunity to back down boats with feathering props, I'd sure like to get one when the family budget allows, because they not only make sailing better, they make backing down much easier!  Little or no prop walk and lots of thrust (quickly) in reverse.

Best of Luck

Mike Vaccaro
"Spirit" '88 #536

Steve S.

Paul,

Been there, done that.  Had the same exact situation.  At first I would dock bow in and back down the fairway.  The advantage was that as I reached the channel, it was easy to see boats from me left and right, but I found turning into the channel problematic.

So now I practice a variation of the Vaccaro's option 2.  

Come up the fairway hugging the dock on your port side.  Slow is the key here.  I Idle with the shift engaged.  When your slip is about 3/4 alongside, make a hard turn to starboard.  As you do this, shift into reverse and give it a little juice.  The combo of hard SB turn and the prop walk will start to line your boat up to back into the slip.  Have a crew member at the ready on the port rear quarter.  As you back into the slip he or she can reach out and grab the line from the outer piling and walk up the port side of the boat as you back in and s/he can tie off.  If I have to, I use that same piling as a pivot.  The beauty of this is now you don't have to worry about the bow anymore, and you use prop walk to your advantage.  Keep backing in until you need to stop.  If you can get the rear starboard dock line, your all set.   It takes a little practice but works great in windy conditions.  And your bow out so your ready to go for your next sail.
Steve S.
Hull 548
Kuching Ayer
Chesapeake Bay