Packing Nut

Previous topic - Next topic

Terry

I'm embarassed to admit it but I've never checked how much my packing material drips.  Where is the nut you're supposed to tighten?

My mission this summer is to dry out my bilge area.  I always have a couple inches of water in there.  Thought I'd start with the packing nut.

Ted Pounds

Terry,

It's under the berth in the aft cabin.  Take out the cushions then remove the large cover. you'll see the shaft extending from the aft end of the engine (transmission really) Then it goes through the packing nut and out the hull. You'll need a very large wrench or (as I use) large channel lock pliers.  There is a locking nut aft of the packing nut.  You need to loosen that first before you adjust the packing nut.  Don't forget to tighten the lock nut when you're done.  It ensures the packing nut doesn't back off thus flooding your boat. :)
Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447

Terry

Terry

If you go to www.e-marine-inc.com and look up the gore-tex dripless packing (thanks Norris), there is a picture of the packing nut and how to replace the material.  Seems pretty simple.

So I ordered the material and most likely will attempt to tighten the nut this spring but will replace the packing material this fall or next spring (unless I strip the nut, break the shaft or the boat sinks).

Terry

One more question - anybody remember the size of wrench needed for the lock nut and packing nut?  Thanks...

Stu Jackson

Terry

I don't remember the sizes, but I do remember that an adjustable packing wrench was the most valuable tool.  I have one solid and one adjustable wrench.  I bought the solid one figuring it would work for the packing nut, but end up using it for the lock nut, or vice versa.  Easiest thing to do is to get two adjustables if you're not near the boat to measure the nuts.  Keep them well oiled, or they'll jamb up on you. That's for both the nuts themselves and the adjustable wrenches.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."