Blower motor access

Previous topic - Next topic

Les Luzar

I am with Mike. When I bought my boat eight years ago, the blower did not work, and although I always think about replacing it, I never did. I always thought that when I run out of projects I may replace it, but I never got to it. It seems like there is no need to replace it. Is it really necessary?
Les Luzar
#355    1987
Windshadow
Long Beach, CA

Phil Spicer

How do you fuel your stove ? ? ?  Most have propane & if it leaks outside the propane locker it will go to the bilge....Fix / replace & run your bilge blower. There is a reason it's there.....the safety of you and all aboard.
    If all fails, install a new blower in a new location and run a new hose or hook into the old hose where you can get to it under the aft cabin.
   Just another option
Phil & Marsha,Sandusky Sailing Club. Steamboat is #789,tall/wing-Unv M25XP/Hurth ZF 50 trans.

Noah

It is a good safety feature to have and use. I would fix it. I have also heard of some folks running it all the time they are motoring to help dissipate heat below decks.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

KWKloeber

Quote from: Phil Spicer on November 19, 2014, 04:36:10 PM
   How do you fuel your stove ? ? ?  Most have propane & if it leaks outside the propane locker it will go to the bilge....Fix / replace & run your bilge blower. There is a reason it's there.....the safety of you and all aboard.
    If all fails, install a new blower in a new location and run a new hose or hook into the old hose where you can get to it under the aft cabin.
   Just another option

How does it leak outside the LP locker if it's properly overboard drained?  
Who runs their blower for 3 mins before starting a diesel?  
If LP was leaking continually (say a bad solenoid and a leaking hose to the range hose) would the blower be running at all times while at the slip, on a hook, while sleeping, etc.?  
Run the blower at all times while making coffee, cooking, etc.?

Another thought

KK
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Noah

Kind of a belt and suspenders approach perhaps?  I also have a Fireboy gas/fume detector.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Stu Jackson

And assure there's a spark-proof motor.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ken Juul

IIRC the blower motor is held in place by screws that are visible above the cockpit seat just forward of the engine control panel.  Perhaps, unscrew, bring entire unit out, fix wires and reinstall.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Ron Hill

Eisen : With a walk thru transom, I'll guess that the only way you'll ever get at that blower motor wire is to remove the engine instrument panel and go fishing for it!

Ron, Apache #788

Eisensail

Just wanted to add the final solution for fixing this problem.... First, my boat is a MK1.5 (full walk through transom) which is why it may or may not be different than other boats out there.  To get access to the blower motor, and the short 2" wire I needed to re-attach to, there is a panel on the aft side of the port lazarette which comes out with 3 screws that run along the bottom edge of the panel.  It is a bit of a chore to get the panel out because the diesel filling tube goes through it, but with enough wiggling it will move.  The blower is actually mounted on the backside of this panel, so once it's pulled out about a foot you can reach where the wire goes into the motor housing.  I was able to crimp a new wire and now it's fixed!

Mike and Joanne Stimmler

I'm glad you were able to figure it out. It's always a great feeling when you work through a new project and are able to complete it successfully.

:clap :clap

Mike
Mike and Joanne Stimmler
Former owner of Calerpitter
'89 Tall Rig Fin keel #940
San Diego/Mission Bay
mjstimmler@cox.net

rmbrown

I'm doing mine now.  Best access, in my opinion, is through the bulkhead that covers the aft water tank with the tank removed.  You might be able to get at it without pulling the tank, but I'm 240 and 6'4".
Mike Brown
1993 C34 Tall Rig Wing Keel Mk 1.5
CTYP1251L293
Just Limin'
Universal M-35AC

sailaway

I have a 1986 they didn't have blowers in them from the factory. Still doesn't have one it's a diesel. Charlie

rmbrown

My primary reason for putting it back is so that I can run the blower to keep the engine compartment cooler.  My hope is that, by keeping the alternator cooler, I can minimize my engine run time (charging time) on the hook.
Mike Brown
CTYP1251L293
Just Limin'
Universal M-35AC

Eisensail

My reason for running the blower is to reduce the diesel smell in the aft berth after motor for long periods of time.  I am not concern about flammable fumes like I once was when I owed a boat with an atomic4.

rmbrown

Eisensail... that's my bride's reason. :)

We sleep in the v-berth for the ventilation, though, and I've learned to love the faint smell of diesel, but hey... everybody wins!
Mike Brown
CTYP1251L293
Just Limin'
Universal M-35AC