"Potting" balsa core with West System 610

Previous topic - Next topic

Roc

Hi everyone,
I'm planning on installing some thru-deck fittings and read through Mainesail's "potting" technique using a dremel.  Has anyone used the West System 610 product in a cartridge?  This stuff already has the epoxy, hardener and thickener built in. All you do is squeeze it out and mix (or use mixing adapter on the end and it comes out pre-mixed).

Not sure if this epoxy product is appropriate for doing the job of sealing the balsa core.

Thanks!

Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD

Ted Pounds

I think it will probably work well for that - http://www.westsystem.com/ss/new-six10-epoxy-adhesive/   But if you still have any questions I hear that the folks there at WEST System are easy to talk to.
Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447

KWKloeber

Quote from: Roc on November 13, 2014, 07:26:28 AM
Hi everyone,
I'm planning on installing some thru-deck fittings and read through Mainesail's "potting" technique using a dremel.  Has anyone used the West System 610 product in a cartridge?  This stuff already has the epoxy, hardener and thickener built in. All you do is squeeze it out and mix (or use mixing adapter on the end and it comes out pre-mixed).

Not sure if this epoxy product is appropriate for doing the job of sealing the balsa core.

Thanks!

Roc,

I haven't used the 610, though over 30 yrs have used about every other West product in "a hundred" applications, from making graphite-infused sheave and rudder stock bearings, to hull repair, removing and rebedding/refairing my keel, tabbing, bonding/filleting, and moisture sealing.  I have used other epoxy-in-a-caulking-tube products, and I would imagine 610 is similar, and have read the description of the 610.  It wouldn't be my choice.  

The long pot and cure times, I think, isn't what I would want/need.  Also, I'd guess the viscosity would be a lot greater than I would use for sealing for thru fasteners.  I like to use a mix that's wet because I want the resin to penetrate every crevice/seam it can get into.  The resin's purpose is to both seal and strengthen (that's one reason why you don't just thru drill oversize and fill -- you leave both skins intact and remove as much core as you can get out.   And I don't want to have to tool the surface flat and maybe get it all over -- gravity does the work.  I also get to choose an additive and hardener for both the temp, my purpose (say, filling vs adhesive), and my time frame.

And if you use a thick mix, you should first wet out the surfaces unthickened so you get good penetration/adhesion (defeats the purpose of using the tube, 'eh?)

So, will it work?  Yes.  Is it the best for the application? No.  
JTSO.  Other's mileage may vary.

I much prefer Mas Epoxy and have switched to that (tho I still occasionally use West.)  No amine blush to deal with (only West "special hardener" is ditto,) easier, less chance for error in the mix ratios, great customer service (they actually answer an email,) and the resin is a little heavier (less thickener is needed) -- but it has surfactants so that it flows/wets out as well as West.  And all the West additives are compatible (actually so are the resin/hardeners of each brand with the other, if you know the trick to use them interchangeably.)

Cheers,
Ken
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Ron Hill

Roc : What balsa core?  I don't believe that any Catalinas have ever had a balsa core!
Ron, Apache #788

Roc

Ron,
I haven't drilled yet, but I'm assuming there is a wood core around the companionway.  Maybe not balsa, but plywood for sure.
Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD

Ron Hill

Roc : As far as I know, Catalinas have a marine grade plywood core for the deck and overhead cabin top. 
Ron, Apache #788