Compact Manual Head

Previous topic - Next topic

Paulus

Has anyone installed the West Marine Compact Manual Head(sales person tells me it is the same as the Jabsco Twist n Lock manual head) Need to replace the head on my boat and have had very good luck with the Jabsco brand.  No desire to change the foot print.
Thanks, Paul
Cool Change 1989 #944

Roc

Paul,
Did you do a search for the best price on the Jabsco head?  I'm guessing the WM is cheaper, but you might find a good deal for a Jabsco on line.  Also, if you don't need it until this coming spring, you can wait to see if any rebates will become available on the Jabsco in the spring.  I bought the twist-n-lock a couple years ago in the spring at WM when they had it on sale plus a $25 Jabsco rebate.  Price wasn't that bad after all the savings.
Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD

Ed Shankle

I know you said you've had success with the Jabsco, but I'd highly endorse the Raritan PHII. I replaced my Jabsco with it this passed season and found it to be a much better unit. Not much of a footprint change; was able to use two of the existing base holes.

Ed
Ed Shankle
Tail Wind #866 1989 m25xp
Salem, MA

Roc

I know the accolades on the PHII head.  But the price is very steep!  When I replaced my Jabsco head a couple years ago, I thought of the upgrade, but couldn't come to grips on such a high price.  The original Jabsco lasted about 10-12 years, with a few rebuild kits along the way.  After a while, the porcelin and seat were rather worn, so that's why I looked into a replacement.  I figured although the workings of a higher priced head are better, it's the other parts (bowl, seat, other parts, etc..) that will wear and eventually you would want to replace.  So I would consider the Jabsco as a "throw away" item...after a while when it gets worn, just throw the whole thing away and get a whole new unit.  You can buy pump rebuild kits for the Jabsco for about $50 that will last a couple/few years before needing one again. I know if you do the math, it ends up being as much as a PHII, but by replacing the whole unit after a while, you have a nice brand new head (bowl, seat, and all other hardware) that is really not "replaceable"....
Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD

Andrew Harvey

The boat had a Raritan installed by PO. It was getting tired and i was constantly replacing parts so I went with the Jabsco
absolutely no comparison, the Raritan is way more efficient. Problem as mentioned is exteme sticker shock.
Better to throw away and replace the Jabsco when it craps out, so to speak
Andrew Harvey

Paulus

Any difference between Westmarine head and Jabsco.  Both made by Jabsco.  I see that Amazon sells one that looks like Westmarine but has the Jabsco sticker on it and priced at $165.00
Paul
Cool Change 1989 #944