M25xp - Grey smoke, unburnt fuel in exhaust

Previous topic - Next topic

kurt

Thanks Ron and Ken.  That is on the next steps list.  Did some more symptom checking though today. 

Boat idles to 3100 fine.  Reverse at dock 2400 max and fuel in exhaust as before.  Removed k&n airfilter - no impact to symptoms.  Screwdriver to ear on the 3 injectors and they all sound the same.  Noticed air filter was black with what appears to be oil or fuel.  Was red not too long ago.  Now thinking exhaust may be restricted causing too much back pressure as another potential cause?  Elbow is only 6 years old - muffler and exhaust hose original.  But cooling water seems to come out the back fine.  Or does fuel in an air filter also arise with any cause of unburnt fuel including injectors?  Maybe I am grasping at straws. 

Kurt

KWKloeber

Quote from: kurt on November 02, 2014, 09:56:00 PM
Thanks Ron and Ken.  That is on the next steps list.  Did some more symptom checking though today. 

Boat idles to 3100 fine.  Reverse at dock 2400 max and fuel in exhaust as before.  Removed k&n airfilter - no impact to symptoms.  Screwdriver to ear on the 3 injectors and they all sound the same.  Noticed air filter was black with what appears to be oil or fuel.  Was red not too long ago.  Now thinking exhaust may be restricted causing too much back pressure as another potential cause?  Elbow is only 6 years old - muffler and exhaust hose original.  But cooling water seems to come out the back fine.  Or does fuel in an air filter also arise with any cause of unburnt fuel including injectors?  Maybe I am grasping at straws. 

Kurt

Where does your crankcase breather hose run to?   To the air intake -- is that the source of gunky KN?
Is the oil ok, level normal - ie, no fuel diluting it (leaking injector pump pushing fuel to the crankcase)?

Ken

Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

kurt

Ken,

Breather tube runs down to oil absorbing pad under engine.  Silver dollar sized black mark to where the tube blows.  Oil engine level was perfect when I checked it when this symptom first arose.

At this point, I think I will check exhaust, then check injectors, then replace injectors or then have someone replace/rebuild injection pump...

Kurt

Stu Jackson

Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

kurt

Bingo.   Just pulled hump hose and exhaust riser is blocked right in front of the place where raw water injects. 

Time to pull the 6 year old riser and either clean or get a new one.

Thanks again for everyone's help.

Kurt

KWKloeber

Quote from: kurt on November 03, 2014, 07:36:32 PM
Bingo.   Just pulled hump hose and exhaust riser is blocked right in front of the place where raw water injects. 

Kurt

Quote from: kurt on November 03, 2014, 07:36:32 PM

Kurt

Ahhh ha.  Cool (soon)!
So plenty of water flow, as you said.  I'm surprised that the engine would run well with the exhaust blocked.

if the riser is bad (6 years??) you might want to consider the Westerbeke water cooled-riser that I'm doing for two C30 owners.  It's a "project" but worth it in the end.

[attachimg=#]

Ken
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.

KWKloeber

<<run well with the exhaust blocked.>>

Ooops,

I meant to say run at all with the exhaust blocked!!!

ken

kurt

Hello everyone,

I installed the new exhaust riser (from Catalina Direct) and the problem is solved/all is good.

The boat revs even higher now in gear - 3000 - with my 15x10 flexofold - whereas before it went only to 2850/2900.  Interestingly, maybe this riser is a bit less restrictive.  I did note that the raw water nipple doesn't extend as far into the exhaust pipe on this version.

Thanks for all your comments/help.

Kurt

Noah

1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Ron Hill

Kurt : Bingo.   Just pulled hump hose and exhaust riser is blocked right in front of the place where raw water injects.  Time to pull the 6 year old riser and either clean or get a new one.

Think that you need to look at the old riser and find out what the "stuff" is that caused the blockage!  Otherwise a 6 year old riser should not have failed or become clogged from normal use!?!  

Was it stainless or black pipe riser?, carbon buildup?

Keep us posted
Ron, Apache #788

kurt

Ron,

I hear you on that.  Engine starts/runs perfect with no smoke so think I'm ok on that front.

My theory is the raw water nipple extended a bit too far into the exhaust pipe which created a place for junk - carbon, salt etc to form.

Kurt