battery question

Previous topic - Next topic

Bobg

Can anyone tell me why my battery reads over 13 volts, and sometimes 12.6.  HOWEVER the battery is dead, it is a car battery in my 4 wheeler, when I turn the key on, (starter disconnected) the battery dives to a half a volt, turn the key off, it rockets back to over 12 volts.  If I switch it out with another battery the engine starts up just fine.
When battery reads over 12 volts, and I toucht the positive and negative terminals with a screwdriver there is no spark.  3 days later, the battery still reads around 13 volts.  But no spark across the terminals.  dunno, I always thought if a battery tests good with a dvm, you were good to go.  Bob
Bob Gatz, 1988 catalina 34, Hull#818, "Ghostrider" sail lake superior Apostle Islands

KWKloeber

Quote from: Bobg on October 24, 2014, 11:03:33 AM
Can anyone tell me why my battery reads over 13 volts, and sometimes 12.6.  HOWEVER the battery is dead, it is a car battery in my 4 wheeler, when I turn the key on, (starter disconnected) the battery dives to a half a volt, turn the key off, it rockets back to over 12 volts.  If I switch it out with another battery the engine starts up just fine.
When battery reads over 12 volts, and I toucht the positive and negative terminals with a screwdriver there is no spark.  3 days later, the battery still reads around 13 volts.  But no spark across the terminals.  dunno, I always thought if a battery tests good with a dvm, you were good to go.  Bob

Bob,

Yes, you can test a battery with a DVM, but you need to do a "load test."  Which is what you are doing, and she fails under load.

What has happened is the battery has no depth of charge to it -- ie. it 'thinks' it is full due to the internal resistance, so the charger stops charging, and there is no more acceptance.  What you have is a lead anchor, w/ one or more bad cells, and needs to be replaced.  How old is it?

Ken K

ken
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Noah

A lead anchor with no holding power! :?
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig