can floor boards be sanded?

Previous topic - Next topic

KWKloeber

becki,

I thought you had said you previously removed the offending boards?  If practical, best to do the work and varnishing at home -- under controllable conditions for finishing and lots of time over the winter.  Check for any rot/weakness/delamination, repair if there is any minor -- and get rid of the mold and sand/seal the underneath and all edges before reinstalling.

What's the benefit of waiting to remove them before fixing leaks?  if there's leaks and the sole is left in place, there's more of a chance of rotting them with condensation from below.  Been there - had an entire sole on the race boat that had to be replaced this year because of rot to the plywood from dampness due to leaks (over many years) migrating to and sitting below the sole.   $5k job to the owner.

-kk
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

anaisdog

I did remove them but then realized I don't have the space to work on them at the house/garage.
Hull #99, c34, 1986, Detroit Yacht Club