Removing Shaft

Previous topic - Next topic

sailr4

Assuming the coupling needs to be cut off and I am installing a PSS. I will either need a new shaft or a flexible coupling (since it is long enough to make up for the cut shaft).
Rob Fowler,1989 C34 #889 Tall/Wing, M25XP - No Worries, Coronado, CA

I'd rather be in a boat with a drink on the rocks, than in the drink with a boat on the rocks.

KWKloeber

Quote from: sailr4 on October 15, 2014, 06:33:22 PM
Assuming the coupling needs to be cut off and I am installing a PSS. I will either need a new shaft or a flexible coupling (since it is long enough to make up for the cut shaft).

Ahhhhh..  Okay, we'll if I HAD to put money into something, I'd rather put it into an improvement (a flexible coupling) than into replacing something that has nothing wrong with it (except for being too short LOL).

KK
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Ken Krawford

Quote from: sailr4 on October 15, 2014, 06:33:22 PM

Just because you have to cut the coupling off doesn't mean you have to replace the shaft too.  If you're careful and cut the coupling over the key slot you should only have to replace the coupling.  Be prepared to take the new coupling to a machine shop and have it reamed to the proper diameter.  I have a 1" shaft and the replacement coupling was .082".  I ordered the shaft from General Propeller - Catalina's supplier.
Ken Krawford
C350 Hull 351  2005 Universal M35B

sailaway

flex coupling vs solid coupling  solid are better they will stay true. flex will  have vibration. PSS will also vibration in reverse at the dock but you will have a dry bilge . Charlie

Andrew Harvey

My new Beta 30 has a flex coupling and it does in fact cause vibration in the shaft. After a couple of hours of motoring the stuffing box backs off.No matter how much i tighten the locking nut , it still loosens. I am considering going withe the dripless seal. I have already replaced the shaft with SS 4 years ago. There is just enough offset on the port side of the rudder to wiggle it out.
A little off topic here but any comments regarding PSS vs better stuffing product?
Andrew Harvey

sailr4

Of course this is all well in advance, as I am not going to haul out until end of November.  I think my plan of attack thus far will be to lube up the coupling and give it a chance to come out on its own.  If not, I will attemp to cut the coupling over the key (or have the yard do it).  I think this will be better than cutting the shaft since a replacement coupling is much cheaper than a shaft.  I will remove the shaft and replace the Cutless.  I have a PSS seal, however, I think I will try the Gore packing before hauling out and see how it does.  I got the PSS for under $200, so I will probably hold on to it unti I'm ready to install.

Rob

I'd rather be in a boat with a drink on the rocks, than in the drink with a boat on the rocks.

Stu Jackson

Quote from: sailr4 on October 17, 2014, 05:28:33 AM
If not, I will attempt to cut the coupling over the key (or have the yard do it).  I think this will be better than cutting the shaft...

Rob, please be careful with letting the Yard Monkeys do this.  Many of them use slide hammers.  Not a good idea. 

Read this:  http://www.pbase.com/mainecruising/new_shaft
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

sailr4

As far as getting yard help, I was only referring to cutting the coupling off.  I have zero experience with a cut-off / grinder. I will try to remove shaft myself using penetrating oil and prayer.

Ron Hill

Rob : All these gyrations when you could just install dripless packing!!!??!!!

a thought
Ron, Apache #788

Ken Juul

The gore dripless is great!  I used it for the first time probably ten years ago.  Last year thinking it must be getting near it's end of life I replaced it.  I was amazed, about 1/2 of the first ring was gone.  I probably tighten it one maybe 2 flats a year.  It could have gone another decade before it wore out.  Lots of folks use the PSS, but it scares me.  Too many things can go wrong. 

You have all winter.  Lots of PB blaster or similar (not WD40). I used the small socket/bolt method.  After several days of PB, apply even pressure on all 4 bolts, wack it with a hammer a couple times.  It should budge, retighten the bolts, use the hammer as necessary.  You can also try heat, but that will burn away all the PB.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Stu Jackson

Gore is good.

Ultra X is even better.

Look in the Tech wiki under Stuffing Box, long article I wrote with "The Story" and links from aine Sail, too.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."