Removing Shaft

Previous topic - Next topic

sailr4

I am planning to replace the cutless and shaft seal this winter. Has anyone been successful at removing the shaft without cutting it?  Or do I need to plan on replacing the shaft too.

Rob
Rob Fowler,1989 C34 #889 Tall/Wing, M25XP - No Worries, Coronado, CA

I'd rather be in a boat with a drink on the rocks, than in the drink with a boat on the rocks.

Ted Pounds

No problem removing the shaft without cutting it.  You'll scrape a bit of paint off the rudder, but there's enough wiggle room.  If you take the old cutless out first and put the new one in last it's even easier.
Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447

Mike and Joanne Stimmler

I know many have done this, but when I had mine done by the yard, they insisted on dropping the rudder and that's what was done so I don't know if they were just hitting me up for more money or there was a special problem with mine. They claimed that they tried to do it without dropping the rudder but said it couldn't be done. :donno: :donno:

Mike
Mike and Joanne Stimmler
Former owner of Calerpitter
'89 Tall Rig Fin keel #940
San Diego/Mission Bay
mjstimmler@cox.net

Ron Hill

Rob : As  new owner you need to look in WiKi. 

There is a ton of information just for the reading!!
Ron, Apache #788

sailr4

Thanks for the replies, however, I was misunderstood.  I will need to remove the shaft from the coupling that has been attached for 25 years.  Do you think it will come off?  I keep reading about people giving up and just cutting the shaft off the coupling.

I'd rather be in a boat with a drink on the rocks, than in the drink with a boat on the rocks.

sailaway

You don't need to remove the shaft to replace a cutless  bearing, the shaft seal I don't know about. Is It a dripless seal. Charlie

sailr4

Yes, I will be installing a PSS shaft seal.  Im pretty sure the coupling will need to be removed, so I was going to go ahead and remove the shaft to make the cutless change a bit easier.

KWKloeber

FWIW,  just some info  on removing prop,  bearing,  etc (from a fellow c30-er who did it this season.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5BKdBXHIyC8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZQHLvUUyuE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSsAO5yE1Kw

Cheers,
Ken
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Ron Hill

Rob : Hate to tell you, but if that shaft has been on the coupling for 25 years and the boat has been in salt water you are going to have a "bear" of a time getting them apart. (2 dissimilar metals - bronze shaft & iron coupling)

Start with some blaster and liquid wrench for a long soaking.  Then you might need to heat them!? - to break them apart.

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Ken Krawford

Rob, I just removed the coupling on my 2005 C350 to change out the bellows on my dripless packing seal.  It took 4 1/2 hrs and a wheel puller to get it off.  My shaft is stainless and the boat has always been in fresh water.  After I was done, I regretted not replacing it with a stuffing box.  All that work and $85 to maintain a shaft seal.
Ken Krawford
C350 Hull 351  2005 Universal M35B

Ted Pounds

Rather than replacing the packing seal with a PSS dripless I recommend trying the Gore dripless packing.  No need to remove the shaft and it works like a champ.   :thumb:
Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447

Ron Hill

Rob : I agree with Ted, Gore dripless packing works very very well. 

An option if you run into a problem removing the flange from the shaft!!
Ron, Apache #788

sailr4

Thanks for the suggestions.  I will certainly consider the Gore packing.  One more opinion question.  If you were to choose between a flexible coupling or a new shaft, which way would you go?

KWKloeber

Quote from: sailr4 on October 15, 2014, 04:46:49 PM
Thanks for the suggestions.  I will certainly consider the Gore packing.  One more opinion question.  If you were to choose between a flexible coupling or a new shaft, which way would you go?

Not sure of the question... that's comparing apples/oranges.  A furler or a new genoa?
You have a good shaft - so why replace it unless you have to to remove the coupling. 
And if you do replace it, then the question is use solid or flexible coupling?  or am I missing something obvious?

If you are looking at installing a dripless seal, you might consider a LasDrop.  But Gore is a much less expensive and equally viable way to go.

Ken K
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Mike and Joanne Stimmler

Are you having a problem with either of them?
Mike and Joanne Stimmler
Former owner of Calerpitter
'89 Tall Rig Fin keel #940
San Diego/Mission Bay
mjstimmler@cox.net