securing v berth filler

Previous topic - Next topic

sailr4

Has anyone done anything to keep the filler section of the v-berth from falling down? My kids like to climb up there so I keep the filler section on the lower level. It keeps falling off after the second kid (3yo twins) climb up. I'm afraid it may do the same in the upper level.
Rob Fowler,1989 C34 #889 Tall/Wing, M25XP - No Worries, Coronado, CA

I'd rather be in a boat with a drink on the rocks, than in the drink with a boat on the rocks.

Jim Hardesty

I have a MKll so don't know if my fix will work.  I added an extra 1 inch to the board on the bottom of the filler ie. made it higher.  After doing that haven't had any problem with the filler comming out.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Stu Jackson

Yes, solutions include:

velcro

metal hook & loop

screwing and/or gluing wood stops at the ends
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

mregan

I used velcro.  Hasn't fallen out yet.

Ron Hill

Guys : If kids are going to be using it as a step - I'd only use a metal hook.

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Noah

My insert has cushion permanently attched onto a board. Last week, I installed two sliding barrel bolts latches to the underside of the insert--one each port and starboard. I threw away the receiver part of the latch. After attaching the slide bolt to underside of insert, I drilled four 1/4 in. holes (one each side for upper and lower positon) to accept slide bolt. The top holes were into teak rail and lower hole into gel coat. It seems to work well, so far.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

sailr4

Thanks for the ideas. Velcro was my suggested but barrel bolts or hooks also sound good. My daughters' heads thank you.
Rob Fowler,1989 C34 #889 Tall/Wing, M25XP - No Worries, Coronado, CA

I'd rather be in a boat with a drink on the rocks, than in the drink with a boat on the rocks.

dfloeter

After hitting the floor twice with the insert dropping out I fixed it for good. Our Mark 2 insert also has the cushion attached and rested on a pair of small teak supports with another piece of teak at the front of the insert that locks in front of the side supports.  I replaced the small supports with beefier ones about 2" square and an inch or so longer.  The insert has not fallen since and my toes may never again be forcefully jammed under the door with my full body weight.  I had said ouch.   
Dietrich Floeter
Traverse City MI
1996 Catalina 34 TR WK #1317
Universal M35A
Rocna 20

Andrew Harvey

Never had a problem with velcro
Andrew Harvey

Dave Spencer

I did exactly what Noah did. Barrel latches fastened to the underside of the insert pinned to the supporting rail.  Very secure but easy to remove if necessary.
Dave Spencer
C34 #1279  "Good Idea"
Mk 1.5, Std Rig, Wing Keel, M35A Engine
Boat - Midland, Ontario (formerly Lion's Head)
People - London, Ontario