Recommissioning After 3 Years on the Hard

Previous topic - Next topic

Stephen Butler

Back from Kenya and Turkmenistan and ready to put our C34 back into the water.  She will have been on the hard for 3 years come January when we finally get back to her.  When storage started, we spent a full 2 weeks getting her ready, including the purchase of a customer cover.  Additionally, the yard has kept up a regular inspection, as well as adding anti-mold crystals.  We originally expected to be back aboard within a year, but "stuff" happens.  We have started a re-commissioning to-do-list (very long and getting longer by the day), based on the various manuals, owner's materials, advice from this board, experience, etc., and feel reasonably confident that while we will certainly miss something, we will still hit the major points.  The major area of concern now is about starting up the engine...approximately 2000 hours, in very good to excellent condition when the storage began, and stored with new anti-rust coolant, new oil, removed impeller, over-filled transmission, etc. The fuel tank and system were also completely filled with new diesel and a stabilizing and anti-bacterial agent added.   We followed the protocols for a typical winter lay up, but it will now be 3 years.  We have spoken with several mechanics, and the factory rep, and everyone is saying, "....do an oil change and transmission fluid change and then just fire her up....no bit thing."   Our questions are: 1) is there any experience/advice/warnings about restarting a diesel that has been in storage for 3 years? and 2) any advice whatsoever about re-commissioning a C34 after 3 years?   Would appreciate any and all thoughts!  Many thanks. 
Steve & Nancy
Wildflecken II
1990, #1023

Jim Hardesty

Steve,
My previous boat had been in storage for about 10 years when I purchased it.  The only problems were with the rubber parts.  Some hoses and the motor mounts, but they may have been bad before going into storage.  Also the plastic parts on the head fell apart.  Other than that the boat gave me great trouble free service for 5 years.
An oil and transmission fluid change couldn't hurt.  Keep a close eye on things for a while.  Then I think you are good to go.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Noah

If I understand you correctly, the fuel (albeit stabilized and biocide treated) is now three years old? If that is the case, I would dump it or get it polished, prior to running engine. Or, count on lots of filter changes. Caveat, I am not a mechanic... BTW-welcome back to the good old USA!
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Ken Juul

I wouldn't change the oil.  A couple days prior to starting, with the cutoff t handle pulled crank the engine for about 20 seconds to get the insides lubricated.  Do this each day or when ever you think about it.  It can be done on the hard, if in the water, close the thru hull so you are not pumping water into the muffler.    Once the boat gets back into the water, change the oil about after 5 hours of use.  I would dump the fuel, it is not worth the hassles it will cause you.  Agree on the rubber parts, check them well.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Stu Jackson

There is conflicting advice on diesel oil storage.  On many other boating forums, folks I trust seem to have been changing their opinions over the years.  ITWMB, I'd first use the boat and check the primary filter after some hours of running before I dumped the fuel.  There were times over the years that we sailed so much and used the engine so little that most of the fuel could well have been 2 or 3 years old and things work just fine.

Sounds like, otherwise, you have done your due diligence.

Welcome back.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Footloose

FWIW-I was listening to Car Talk yesterday on NPR.  A caller asked about starting a Dodge Dart that had been in storage for 30 years.  Their advice was to change the oil, antifreeze, and fuel.  After that they said start it up.  Their comment about gaskets drying out and leaking was that it is overblown and almost never happens.   I understand that we are talking gas vs diesel, but I believe that the same principles apply. 
Dave G.
"Footloose"
Hull# 608  1988 Tall Rig/Fin Keel
Malletts Bay, VT- Lake Champlain