Traveler fitting

Previous topic - Next topic

mregan

I need to get a correct fitting for my mainsheet to traveller connection.  The PO put a shackle in and I keep forgetting to change it out.  Not sure what type of fitting I should be using.

Clay Greene

Call Garhauer and they will get you the right fitting. They can also set you with replacement hardware (basically everything but the traveller bar) that will really reduce the amount of effort necessary to use the traveller. Ask to speak to Mark - he has a Catalina 36 and knows exactly what you need.
1989, Hull #873, "Serendipity," M25XP, Milwaukee, Wisconsin

BillG

hopefully this pic shows what a garhauer on an 87 looks like
Bill
Rock Hall, MD

Stu Jackson

Matt, it looks like there is a pin holding that out-of-alignment D shackle to the car.  Remove the pin and try a heavy stainless steel O ring.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Clay Greene

Here is a photo of the upgraded traveller hardware from Garhauer.  Big improvement both in terms of function and form. 
1989, Hull #873, "Serendipity," M25XP, Milwaukee, Wisconsin

Phil Spicer

You can remove the "D" shackle, you don't need it. The fiddle block has a swivel on the bottom, so you can hook up directly to the traveler with out the "D" shackle. Discard the "D" shackle, rotate the swivel 90 degrees, hook the clevis to the traveler  and you are good to go.
   If you need the clearance you may think about using a snap shackle with a bail on the end, not a clevis. A snap shackle would make a quick and easy connection.

Just another idea.
Phil & Marsha,Sandusky Sailing Club. Steamboat is #789,tall/wing-Unv M25XP/Hurth ZF 50 trans.

KWKloeber

A shackle is what you need - maybe not the one you have though.
You have a Nicro traveller car, and the oem shackle has a 90 degree twist in it.  I replaced mine with a heavy shackle, but you just need one that has a little slimmer throat width so that it doesn't skew off center.

I'll see if I can find a pic of mine.

KK
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Ron Hill

mre : I like Phil's idea.  I doubt if you really need that extra shackle - you need to check.

If you really need it then you could also use a stainless "quick link".

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

KWKloeber

Quote from: Ron Hill on September 14, 2014, 12:56:04 PM
mre : I like Phil's idea. 

If you need it then you could also use a stainless "quick link".

A thought

I have the exact Nicro car, and as I recall the shackle shown on the fiddle won't fit correctly on the car - if it goes askew, the width jams in the opening under certain circumstances.  At least mine did - hence probably why PO added the extra shackle. 

The shackle that Phil shows on the Garhauer car, is exactly what I was talking about, cept the D shacle I chose is longer than his - maybe 2"- 2-1/2", so I guess it's a DDD shackle  :D.  As with Phil's, the throat width is "near exactly" the same size as the swivel head of the fiddle block, so it can't go askew.

I personally hesitate using a quick link in any high-load application (read: gybe) or even a critial location because all the stress is on the 2 or 3 threads that 'close' the link. And if the oval gets deformed (read: accidental gybe) you're screwed as far as getting the link quickly opened in an emergency - the deformed angle may jam the "nut" on, and the stress gall the threads.  As opposed to a shackle, which is meant to take that strain in shear in the pin, and the cotter is easy/quick to remove.  JTSO.

I wish I could find the WM p/n of the shackle I chose - it's a perfect fit on the Nicro car.

KK
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

patrice

Hi,

Just like Phil said, you could just remove the shackle.
This how mine is set-up.  Not the same car, but should work with the parts you have right now.

Give it a try before buying parts.      :abd:
1989 MKI #970
TR, WK, M25XP
   _/)  Free Spirit
~~~~~~

Ron Hill

Most quick links I've seen have at least 6 or more threads!  I've never hesitated to use them on hi-load
item and years later backed them off with no problem. 
Yes, if you can only attach 3 threads - don't do it!! 
Ron, Apache #788