3 Blade Prop Question

Previous topic - Next topic

prh77

I am looking to upgrade to a 3 bladed prop. Research on this site indicated a 9.5 or 10" by 15 is the way to go. I also understand I want a " sailor " prop. Are the props offered by Catalina Direct the proper types, or do I have to go through the Factory? !988 C34 M25XP engine. Thanks for all help and info on this site.
Peyton Harrison Hull # 597 1988 "Trinity"

Ron Hill

Peyton : As far as I know the factory 3 bladed "Sailor" props will be 9" pitch x 15" diameter.  Most C34 people have repitched to 10"

Don't know if Catalina Direct has "Sailor" style props or not.  Be where of Michigan Wheel as they may not be a Sailor style prop.

Ron, Apache #788

sailaway

I have an 9 x 15 x 1 on my 1986 m25 if you over prop you have a chance of not getting up to RPM and the engine  will smoke. I like the way the prop lets me back up. I get up to 6.7 knts with a clean bottom. Most of the time 6.5 in flat water Charlie

Noah

This is a photo of my Michigan Wheel "Sailer" 15 x 9. BTW it does a poor job in reverse...or perhaps it's me ...LOL! I am considering a switch to a 3-blade folding prop someday, to see how they perform. It may be even worse in reverse but less drag sailing?
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

prh77

Peyton Harrison Hull # 597 1988 "Trinity"

Stu Jackson

15x10.  Been reported for years.  Fixed 3 blade.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Noah

Stu, Based on other posts, I believe there is a difference between a Campbell "Sailor" and a Michigan "Sailer" like I have. Would you recommend repitching mine from 9 to 10? Before trying a folding prop?
Standard Rig

Stu Jackson

Noah, I forget.  Try these:  

http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,4842.0.html  

and

http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,6907.0.html

Maine Sail's usually "right on."
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

Stu Jackson

Noah

Not questioning the 10 pitch, just want to know if it applies to both Campbell "Sailor" and Michigan "Sailer". Is there a difference? i don't know.
Standard Rig

Ken Juul

Yes, huge difference.  The Campbell is a unique design that really pushes water.  It was originally designed for tugboats I think.  I was overpitched with Campbell's recommendation.  IIRC it was 14x9, ditched the prop due to damage a few years ago.  There are some discussions here and at Catalina owners.com for more info.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Stu Jackson

Quote from: Noah on September 09, 2014, 08:38:32 PM
Not questioning the 10 pitch, just want to know if it applies to both Campbell "Sailor" and Michigan "Sailer". Is there a difference? i don't know.

Noah, sorry, my links didn't answer your question.  I'll do some more research.

Quote from: Ken Juul on September 10, 2014, 02:40:15 AM
There are some discussions here and at Catalina owners.com for more info.

Which is where I'd look.  And with "mainesail" (here) and "Maine Sail" (on co.com as the author.

Stu Jackson

Noah, I Googled "differences between Michigan and Campbell propellers" and got this:

http://forums.sbo.sailboatowners.com/showthread.php?t=6617

There are a few hits on co.com under Maine Sail if you do a search on "Campbell Michigan," but mostly about the advantages of a 3 blade vs 2 or folding in heavily tidal and strong current waters - not what you need.

Try here as Ken suggests, too.

Noah

Thx guys. I will read up further. It's going to be a ways off. Need to replenish my bank roll and do some more sailing first.
Standard Rig

Clay Greene

Noah, I noted your comment above about folding props being worse in reverse.  I think that is a misconception, as least as far as it relates to the two Flexofold props I have owned.  The prop walk with a fixed prop is a real issue - both boats I have owned have really gone sideways until you get some speed on.  Much less prop walk and therefore more control with my three-blade Flexofold prop on both my C34 and my C387.  The only negative about the Flexofold compared to a fixed prop (other than the price) is that it takes a lot more throttle to stop the boat but that is something you can adjust to.  I bought the Flexofold for the sailing improvement (and it delivered) but was even more impressed by its performance under power. 
1989, Hull #873, "Serendipity," M25XP, Milwaukee, Wisconsin