Hinckley TV Antenna

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken Krawford

Ron Hill has mentioned using the Hinckley TV antenna for both TV and radio reception.  Does anyone know what type of plug or adapter that would be used to adapt the F type coax connector to a typical RCA plug used on radios?
Ken Krawford
C350 Hull 351  2005 Universal M35B

KWKloeber

Quote from: Ken Krawford on September 10, 2014, 02:43:12 PM
Ron Hill has mentioned using the Hinckley TV antenna for both TV and radio reception.  Does anyone know what type of plug or adapter that would be used to adapt the F type coax connector to a typical RCA plug used on radios?

Could you be referring to a "Motorola" connector (more common on radio antenna inputs)?  :?:

I had an auto antenna laying in a cubby for my FM, and cut the coax cable and installed an F connector to make a short adapter.

Or Radio Shack has a non-solder Motorola jack.  Read the comments about the set screws though -- you need to fold back and double up the center wire.
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2102835

Or get a solder type to put on coax.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/301017874584

Ken
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Ken Krawford

Thanks Ken.  Yes, I did mean Motorola connector.
Ken Krawford

Ken Juul

If you have an existing radio antenna wire with the motorola connection on it, you could put a coax connector on the other end.  Coax down the mast to a splitter, one leg to the tv, the other to the radio.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Mike and Joanne Stimmler

I think there is a splitter available from Radio Shack that will do what you want.

Mike
Mike and Joanne Stimmler
Former owner of Calerpitter
'89 Tall Rig Fin keel #940
San Diego/Mission Bay
mjstimmler@cox.net

Ken Krawford

Mike, I searched Radio Shack and didn't see a splitter.  Any idea what it's called?
Ken Krawford

Ron Hill

Ken : I believe that the normal "auto" radio antenna connector is a "Motorola" connector.
I took a piece of Coax cable and installed a coax connector on one end and a Motorola connector on the other end for the stereo radio.

Originally, I used the Hinckley antenna input from heavy coax (satellite dish cable) coming down the mast to a regular home TV coax splitter.  However, I found that as the name implied, it split (reducing the signal) to the TV and I got nothing when in a remote TV signal area.  So I substituted an "A"/"B" switch for the splitter so 100% of the signal went to the TV or 100% to the Stereo!  
I never watched TV with the stereo ON, so that worked well! 
Just move the switch from "A" (TV) to "B" (Stereo) to change where the signal is sent to!

If you are in sailing in a metropolitan area with a bunch of TV stations around then a splitter will do the job.  However, if you are sometimes sailing in a remote signal area - remember the A-B switch!!

Hope this helps  

Ron, Apache #788

Mike and Joanne Stimmler

Ken, I searched Radio Shack and couldn't find it either but if you Google tv/fm splitter you will get a lot of info. Ron's ideas sound good to me though. The splitter I was thinking about is the common one used for home cable tv applications where you want to split one cable to two but as Ron said you would need an adaptor cable with an F connector on one end and a Motorola plug on the other. Might be worth a visit to your local Radio Shack or other electronics store.

Mike
Mike and Joanne Stimmler
Former owner of Calerpitter
'89 Tall Rig Fin keel #940
San Diego/Mission Bay
mjstimmler@cox.net

Ron Hill

Guys : Just make sure that for the TV and Stereo all cabling, connectors, splitter and A/B switches are 75 ohm and not the VHF radio 50 ohm impedance.  Or you'll have impedance mismatch!!

The same is true when you are connecting your VHF radio cabling - everything must be 50 ohm and don't use any of the 75 ohm TV connectors !!!  Found that the yard did that to my C34 at commissioning!!

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

KWKloeber

Quote from: Ken Krawford on September 11, 2014, 03:49:40 AM
Thanks Ken.  Yes, I did mean Motorola connector.

Ken,

Lookie here what I found for you....

www.mcmelectronics.com/product/DISTRIBUTED-BY-MCM-10TV110-/28-2145

Ken K
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Ken Krawford

Thanks.  That's looks perfect.
Ken Krawford