Sunbrella forward hatch cover

Previous topic - Next topic

RobertSchuldenfrei

Hi Everyone,

I would like to fashion a hatch cover made of Sunbrella.  Due to the fact that it is a tight fit and the hinges are in the way, how do you design one that fits?  There has been some postings on this:

Quote from: Ken Juul on February 20, 2009, 10:22:21 AM
Another project for WaterDog? :D

Actually I made my own.  Not as well versed as Steve is on the machine, but whipped up one for each of the overhead hatches in about an hour.  Sorry I don't have the dimensions, they are on the boat.

Does someone have some pictures on how they handled the hinges?

Cheers,

Bob
Robert Schuldenfrei
Esprit du Vent - #422

Ron Hill

Bob : Don't have a picture, but I cut some gray sunbrella to size (gray deck) leaving enough on all edges to turn over and pass some 1/8" shock cord thru.  Then I pulled the shock cord tight.

It went over the hinges and stayed in-place because it was under the 4 edge lips of the hatch.

A thought  
Ron, Apache #788

Sue Clancy

Here is the link to the sailrite video on how to make one. It handles the hinges as well. I used these to make one for a dock neighbor.

http://www.sailrite.com/How-to-Make-a-Hatch-Cover-Video
Sue and Brian Clancy
Former owners - 1987 C34 Mk I #272
Home Port - Westbrook, CT

RobertSchuldenfrei

Quote from: sue on September 07, 2014, 06:44:56 PM
Here is the link to the sailrite video on how to make one. It handles the hinges as well. I used these to make one for a dock neighbor.

Thanks Sue, that is just the technique I was looking for.  I do not know if the lady I use to make sail covers and other items out of Sunbrella can do this, but I am going to use the technique to construct a paper pattern.

Cheers,

Bob
Robert Schuldenfrei
Esprit du Vent - #422

BobAthensGA

I would recommend putting an insulating layer between sunbrella layers to reduce heat transfer (In in Summer Out in Winter). There is a canvas maker in our marina that does this and I have heard good reports.

I used a piece of 1/8 PVC Signboard material and made a regid cover to fit directly onto the lens part of the hatch. This has really reduced condensation in winter and keeps the inside service the same as the ambiant air of the inside of boat. It can be 100 on deck and then inside of the lens is the same as cabin temp.

I attach it with 3m Dual Lock. Small piece on each corner.

They have lasted 3 years. I had one break off in some 40kt wind a few weeks ago. Stayed down on three sides but broke off the 4th side where it came loose. Other than that I am very please with my cheap easy to do project.

I later found a company called Outland Hatch Covers that is making a similar product to what I designed. You might want to check them out. I don't know anybody that has used them but I am a 100% believer in the concept.

RobertSchuldenfrei

Quote from: RobertSchuldenfrei on September 08, 2014, 04:35:21 AM
Quote from: sue on September 07, 2014, 06:44:56 PM

Thanks Sue, that is just the technique I was looking for.  I do not know if the lady I use to make sail covers and other items out of Sunbrella can do this, but I am going to use the technique to construct a paper pattern.

Cheers,

Bob

Hi Forum Readers,

Using the technique described in the video, and making adjustments for the fact that our hatch is not a square, I made a pattern.  My lady who did prior work for us is no longer in business.  However, I found a great company who does custom work, Beaver-Brand Canvas, Inc. (http://www.beaver-brandcanvas.com/)  Here is how the finished cover looks.  Notice the loops on the inside view and how they hold the corners.  Also notice how the line avoids the hinges on the outside view.  I paid just over $100.00 for two covers; the one described here and another one for the mid-ship hatch.  Anyone one interested should contact Linda Schwartz of Beaver-Brand.

Cheers,

Bob
Robert Schuldenfrei
Esprit du Vent - #422