MK I shower curtain set up?

Previous topic - Next topic

Noah

My 1990 C34 MK I came without a shower curtain, although it does have a cloth tie back for one on the forward bulkhead at about knee height. My problem is, even if I find or make a curtain, I have no idea how the original one was installed. There are no tracks, or telltale signs of any old ones. on the headliner and no snaps anywhere in the head compartment either. Can some please describe what the curtain looks like and explain how it is rigged/attached. Of course, as always a photo would be great!  Thx!
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

KWKloeber

Quote from: Noah on August 25, 2014, 02:04:22 PM
My 1990 C34 MK I came without a shower curtain, although it does have a cloth tie back for one on the forward bulkhead at about knee height. My problem is, even if I find or make a curtain, I have no idea how the original one was installed. There are no tracks, or telltale signs of any old ones. on the headliner and no snaps anywhere in the head compartment either. Can some please describe what the curtain looks like and explain how it is rigged/attached. Of course, as always a photo would be great!  Thx!

Suggest calling/emailing Dani or Ken Roy at CTY parts - I have the parts listing for a C-30, but not the 34. 
And if you ask nice like, CTY will email you the current list of all available parts and we can Wiki it, like Kent Nelson (wherever he is now?) sent to me for the C-30.

Ken@catalinayachts.com
Dani@catalinayachts.com
(818) 884-7700

Ken
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Steve McGill

The head pic is when we purchased in 2007, the slides can be purchased from camper places or Catalina Direct. I assume the same for the curtain tract. The head track is the full length forward bulkhead to aft bulkhead.

Good luck Steve
CLARITY 1988 #588 TRWK (sold 8/2023 after 17 yrs)
Chesapeake, Herring Bay, MD

Noah

Thx. A few questions. Is the original design just one curtain that slides fore/aft below the windows, notched for the head seat? Nothing on the forward bulkhead or covering the head door? Is it designed for a only a seated shower? Anyone try mounting a hook on the bulkhead for stand-up shower?
Standard Rig

KWKloeber

Quote from: Steve McGill on August 25, 2014, 03:30:33 PM
The head pic is when we purchased in 2007, the slides can be purchased from camper places or Catalina Direct. I assume the same for the curtain tract. The head track is the full length forward bulkhead to aft bulkhead.

Good luck Steve

You can stand up - there's nothing to hurt if it gets wet once the countertop, etc is shielded. 
I removed the whole track and curtain kabootle on the 30, and am just careful about getting spray on the countertop - I should add a snap on "shield."
I added a clear vinyl stick-on (about 2" wide) weatherstrip across the width of the bottom of the door to help keep water from getting out - it's hardly noticeable.

-Ken K
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.

Stu Jackson

Quote from: Noah on August 25, 2014, 03:51:14 PM
Thx. A few questions. Is the original design just one curtain that slides fore/aft below the windows, notched for the head seat? Nothing on the forward bulkhead or covering the head door? Is it designed for a only a seated shower? Anyone try mounting a hook on the bulkhead for stand-up shower?

Noah,

Steve's pictures are very good. There is no cutout for anything, it's just a straight plastic-y kinda material.  I sit on the head when I shower, sometimes I stand up.  I've thought, over & over again, about putting it a holder of some sort for the shower wand, but never have.

The more important issue is to get a shower wand shutoff valve so that the temperature stays the same.  Like this:  http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,4174.0.html
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Noah

Thx Stu. I have the shut off valve on the shower head handle. I still am a little fuzzy on the curtain. How tall is it, does it go down to the floor? And, if no cutout, notch contour at countertop level how does it slide past the angled cabinet and seat to close against the aft bulkhead? Does it not close all the way aft, even though the track looks like it goes all of the way?  Any other curtain surrounding the rest of the head compartment, or does the forward bulkhead, toilet and door get "hosed"?
Standard Rig

KWKloeber

Noah,

FYI, I got a nice wall-mount shower wand holder at the local RV parts place.

Ken

Stu Jackson

Quote from: Noah on August 26, 2014, 10:41:47 AM
1.  How tall is it, does it go down to the floor?
2.  And, if no cutout, notch contour at countertop level how does it slide past the angled cabinet and seat to close against the aft bulkhead? Does it not close all the way aft, even though the track looks like it goes all of the way? 
3.  Any other curtain surrounding the rest of the head compartment, or does the forward bulkhead, toilet and door get "hosed"?

Noah,

1.  Mine goes down to about the level of the teak shower seat, maybe a little further.

2.  It goes as far back as it can.  There is an area of the port countertop that's exposed, as well as the flat of the sink cutout.  Many of us have built a small teak "dam" at the narrow spot between the teak counter molding and the aft bulkhead to stop water from pooling to port.  Like this:  http://www.c34.org/projects/projects-aquavite.html

3.  No other curtain.  The walls and door get wet, good time to clean off anyway.  We put a folded up sacrificial towel outside the door on the teak & holly sole.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

Noah

Ok, thx (again), Stu. As simple and "primitive" as I had guessed. Interesting to see how this arrangement  "sells" to my wife..LOL. I might noodle on ideas for an overhead track/full surround curtain enclosure, but won't spend much energy on it. I did see your countertop dam project but thought it was for sink/wash up spillage, not shower spray too. I had planned to install the fiddle, regardless.
Standard Rig

Ron Hill

Noah : Steve's picture is perfect!!  
The shower curtain is ALL the way across "teak seat height".  
Under NO circumstances buy a curtain from Catalina or Catalina Direct (suggested by C30 Ken) as their prices are exorbinate $$$(like $50 - no less!!)  You can purchase any good shower curtain of better quality (for $8) and cut it to size.

Look in the old Mainsheet Tech notes and you'll find I wrote an article about replacing that shower curtain!

Here's what I did.  The track is the same size as the track for the fixed port windows and it goes under the lip that Steve has the red arrows at.  The track extends from one bulkhead to the other with the same stops as the curtains.
I took a red hot nail and made a hole in each of the nylon tabs that fit in the track(if you can't find slides with a ring hole).  Then I used stainless ring clips and attached the shower curtain to the tabs.  My Catalina curtain only lasted about 10 years while my replacement curtain was still going strong after 15 years.

A few thoughts

Ron, Apache #788

KWKloeber

Quote from: Ron Hill on August 26, 2014, 03:02:36 PM
Catalina Direct (suggested by C30 Ken)

Ron...

CD?  Nah you know my thoughts about supporting CD.  Bite your tongue.
I simply meant the track from CTY because Noah said he had none.

"Just the tacks, ma'am. Just the tracks."    :D

-KK

Ken Juul

Noah,
No need to keep the shower curtain original.  Make it work for what you need.  We normally use the cockpit shower, but the for the few times we need an inside shower, we stick a cut to shape piece of plastic curtain over the teak trim sliding cabinets with poster putty.  Easy, simple, does the job.  Boat bucks are better spent on things other than shower curtains.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Noah

Thanks guys. I agree not worth a bunch of expensive drama/energy. I will rig up something that works and hopefully has enough finess to pass muster with my wife.
Standard Rig

Stu Jackson

Shower Curtain flix - deployed   8)