More Water heater questions

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken Juul

Where did evidence of leaks appear?  I have looked at all the fittings, see no sign of leakage.  There is rust around the forward engine coolant hose, but no moisture, and I am not loosing coolant.  What I am seeing is a small trickle from the center of the of the heater forward when viewed from the access door on the side of the galley counter.  I took off the panel that covers the heater's electrical elements, the insulation is dry around all the fittings, but damp along the lower inside heater edge getting  progressively wetter toward the center of the tank.  I don't know enough about the construction/layout of the heater, and it is impossible to remove the cover with the heater in place.  Is it likely a pin hole leak?  Are there unseen fittings or plugs that could be leaking, weeping down the tank and collecting at the bottom?  I think I will end up having to pull the tank to troubleshoot the leak.  Trying to decide whether to purchase a replacement before I pull it or if leaks are normally repairable. Plastic fittings are always suspect.  I may just replace them on principle and see what happens.  I would need new ones for a new tank anyway.  I am assuming the tank is original, which would make it 11 years old.  What is the normal life?  Am I due for a new one anyway?  Thanks for the inputs.
Ken Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Hull#753

Yeah, sounds like this is gonna take some serious troubleshooting.  Since you're onboard on a regular basis, suggest you "trap" the leak source with paper towels, or the like.  Placing these towels in strategic areas, if nothing else, will at least EXCLUDE from where the leak originates.  And I'm sure you've already checked the hoses themselves.  Is it possible to determine whether the leaking water is hot or cold?  Sounds silly, but wondering whether this leak is before or after processing.

And of course, if it were practical, you'd pull the whole unit out & troubleshoot with ease.  Sounds like you might end up having to do something like that anyway.  As memory serves, however, I can't visualize getting the water heater out of my '88 without cutting 'glass.

Finally, some perspective to help with probs like this: she's not sinking, and she'll still sail like a dream!

John

Ron Hill

Ken : Sounds to me like you've got a pin hole leak. I'd just buy a new one unless you want to take the old one out and see if you can have the aluminum alloy "innerds" welded.

Ron, Apache #788
Ron, Apache #788