Cool Change

Previous topic - Next topic

Paulus

My wife and I have finished our 10 week trip to the North Channel.  We had a great summer , covering 1300 nautical mile.  Very pleased with my solar panel and the boat.  I will share details about the solar panel and also the 2 issues that I had to deal with.  A great summer in paradise.
Cool Change
Cool Change 1989 #944

Paulus

Two issues
I had to put a new roller pin in the steering sprocket under the compass.  The old one had fallen out, unknown to me until I happen to get up and use the wheel as a grab rail.  Pulled out 1/2 inch.  Called Edson and they send a replacement but in the meantime I had taken the compass off and replaced it with a roller pin from a local hardware store.  The second issue was more serious.  My transmission started to slip, rather serious concern as in docks it always gave me trouble and also no power. Edson had informed that the key would not let the shaft slip out more than 1/2 inch.
Paul
Cool Change 1989 #944

Ron Hill

Paul : I assume that you have an M25XP engine? 
If you do, You need to get yourself a ZF 10 Hurth transmission.  It is the replacement for the Hurth 100 (the Hurth 50 is no longer made).

You'll need to remove the bell housing as the Xmission is thru-bolted from the inside.

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

Paulus

Ron, thanks for the info.  Torresen Marine is taking the transmission out this week.  I have no idea what type of transmission is in the boat.  Will be going up on Tuesday and will find out.  The mechanic, Jeff, who I have known for 25 years did not see any problems with repair.  One hr out, one hour repair and one hour to put back in.
Thanks again Ron,
Paul
Cool Change 1989 #944

Indian Falls

Paul,

If you can, please gather the information from your friend about where to get the rebuild kit and or parts and numbers he used for repairing the slipping trans, and what trans it is.  If this happens to me, it'll be me pulling the thing out and addressing repairs. Having this info ahead of time would be a blessing.

Thanks!

Dan
Dan & Dar
s/v Resolution, 1990 C34 997
We have enough youth: how about a fountain of "smart"?

Paulus

It is the Hurth 50.  Torresen has had no problems getting the parts.  This is the 3rd that they have rebuilt in the past month.
Next time I go to Muskegon, I will ask.
Paul
Cool Change 1989 #944

Paulus

Dan, Torresen Marine got the parts for my Hurth 50 from Marysville Marine near Detriot and some of the parts came from Transmission Marine in Ft. Lauderdale, FL.
They did not know if these people would sell parts directly to an individual.
Hope this helps.
Paul
Cool Change 1989 #944

Steve W10

Paul, glad you got things sorted out.

I'm with Dan, any information you are willing to provide with respect to detailed symptoms and the parts that needed to be replaced would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Steve

Paulus

The transmission has been rebuild and put back into the boat.  This was finished some time back but have been rather busy and not with a second job. The transmission was completely  rebuild, the list of parts reads like a hospital bill. A couple of boaters had expressed an interest in my project, if you want the list of parts please email me and I would be glad to send them to you.  The parts lists does not include the names of distributors.
Paul
Cool Change 1989 #944