Water Leak

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Brener

I had water leaking in on the port side at the holding tank vent stanchion.  I rebedded the stanchion with butyl tape several years ago and I thought the leak was from there.  Upon inspection, I now think it is coming in by a bolt to the right and below the stanchion.  Can anyone tell me what the bolt is for and where the head is as I see several more to the left in the compartment. Could it be to attach the rub rail?  I know that where a leak shows does not mean that is where the water comes in.

Not sure I will like the answer but thanks as always thanks for your suggestions.

Jim Brener
Wind Spirit  1987  #504

patrice

HI,

If you are talking about the bolt that goes on the side of the hull, yes they're from the jonction of the deck to hull and hidden outside by the rubrail.
1989 MKI #970
TR, WK, M25XP
   _/)  Free Spirit
~~~~~~

cmainprize

if the bolt you see is vertical ( pointing down) than its from the headsail car track
Cory Mainnprize
Mystic
Hull # 1344
M35
Midland Ontario

Ron Hill

Jim : Are you talking about a nut? or a bolt? 
Ron, Apache #788

tommyt

Very possible, if what you see is a horizontal bolt, that is from the rub rail track. Take a look at the bolts in the v-birth and under the trim above the salon seating and see if they are the same.
Tom Mallery, C34 #1697, 2004 MKII, Splash Dance

Jim Brener

Ron

What I am seeing is the thread and a nut as if the head is outside of the hull.  It is not vertical.  If the head attaches the rub rail, I don't see how it would show a leak when running water on the deck.  It is possible that I did not check the vent stanchion bolts carefully and one or more is leaking, again. I looked carefully at the scupper and do not see any cracks.  Of course, there could another explanation.

Hope to see you and Phyllis at the Fleet 12 Fall Meeting in September.
Jim Brener
Wind Spirit  1987  #504

KWKloeber

Quote from: Jim Brener on August 23, 2014, 04:23:06 PM
Ron

What I am seeing is the thread and a nut as if the head is outside of the hull.  It is not vertical.  If the head attaches the rub rail, I don't see how it would show a leak when running water on the deck.  It is possible that I did not check the vent stanchion bolts carefully and one or more is leaking, again. I looked carefully at the scupper and do not see any cracks.  Of course, there could another explanation.

Hope to see you and Phyllis at the Fleet 12 Fall Meeting in September.

This is where one says, "A picture is worth "X" words" when trying to get someone to identify a strange appurtenance.  Especially on a sailboat!

:donno:

kk
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Ron Hill

Jim : The vented stanchion bolts could be leaking from the water from washing the deck and dripping/running down on to that nut/bolt end.
The water could also be coming thur the bolt that hold the rubrail channel ??

Run some water on the deck and then take a piece of Kleenex and touch the 4 bolts that hold the vented stanchion in place and if it shows no water touch the Kleenex to that nut / exposed bolt end.  Good Luck

A thought
Ron, Apache #788