Steering pedestal instrument layout (MK II)

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve_in_lex

I'm considering replacing my factory-installed C80 chart plotter this winter, and think it's worth revisiting the standard MK II navpod layout because the instruments are so high.  I noticed that the C355 layout addresses this by putting the instruments below the plotter -- but the pedestal is a whole different animal.  Has anyone reconfigured their instrument layout?   Pictures would be great, or links to examples or articles.  Thanks.
Steve Saudek
2005 C-34 MK II
"Brisa"

Noah

I have a MkI so things may be different. I did a complete re-instrumentation with a 12-in B&G Zeus multifunction touch screen in the cockpit. To solve the infamous instruments blocking the view forward issue, which could have been particularly bad with a 12 inch panel, I purchased a new angle guard and then had it modified locally (cut bent and re-welded) to get the large Navpod out forward and low down to the binnacle. I am 5 ft. 9 in. And visibility is good. To explain the photos further: the multifunction display was quite thin and there was a lot of depth/wasted space inside it. So as I was rewiring everything on the mast at same time--switching to all LED-- I installed a Blue Sea Weather Deck switch panel in the back of the Navpod. It controls my deck level Nav light, spreader lights, steaming light, tricolor Nav light and strobe---all from the cockpit. I have this panel on a breaker labeled binnacle on my main distribution panel. Feeling rich, I also installed an 8 in. Zeus touch screen at the Nav Station. You only live once!
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Noah

More pics
Standard Rig

Noah

More...
Standard Rig

lazybone

Love the smile, Noah

My wife says I smile too much behind the wheel, says it makes me look retarded.
Ciao tutti

S/V LAZYBONES  #677

Noah

Old..and retarded... But I'd rather be smiling behind the helm than frowning behind my desk!
Standard Rig

lazybone

I wasn't implying that you looked retarded.

You look like a 6yr old.
Ciao tutti

S/V LAZYBONES  #677

Ken Juul

As others have implied.  How you have your instruments set up is a very personnel choice.  I personally like redundancy.  The chart plotter died last winter on the trip south.  Paper charts and what the old analog instruments told me got me from VA to Fla.  If everything was tied into one display, the trip would have been much harder.  Your boat your choice.  I got a steal on a 12 in chart plotter many years ago.  The only way to make it fit and still have forward visibility was to cut and weld the pedistel guard.  Find a good shop that builds dogers/enclosures or fishing towers for power boats.  The can make your dreams come true for less money than you think.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Fred Koehlmann

Ken has a good point. Putting all your eggs into one basket can be a bit risky. With respect to looking over the pedestal, I'm just curious how many people sail from a position directly behind the wheel on a regular and continuous basis. I know that I do stand then ocassionally, but I must say that I usually either stand or sit on the side one way or another. That central position just doesn't give me the view under the genoa, or of the sail trim, and when motoring I'm more comfortable sitting to the side. I actualy like all the instruments on the central pedestal and easily accesible from either side. Definitely personnal preference is everything.

We have the speed, wind and depth across the top, the plotter below and the compass directly infront. I'm planning on moving the remote VHF mike beside the plotter, and add a holder for the horn at the top. In that cade I may not be able to see over the top at all. I'm 5'-7" tall.
Frederick Koehlmann: Dolphina - C425 #3, Midland, ON
PO: C34 #1602, M35BC engine

Fred Koehlmann

One thing I found unfortunate, was that the cup holder placement right behind the compass was a bit unfortunate. Seems we need to be careful what people put into the holder, because sometimes I find my compass readings are a bit off, and then I realize someone has placed something metalic into the holder, i.e. Water bottle, binoculars, etc. I think I may be place cup holder number two, higer up closer to the Navpods and away from the compass.

cmainprize

This is our setup.  I installed this last year after having a miss mash of different set ups.  I really like how clean and organized everything is.  I can clearly see over the an pod, I am 5' 10''.   All devices are integrated and I run a iPad with navionics for backup
Cory Mainnprize
Mystic
Hull # 1344
M35
Midland Ontario

Roc

Hi Frederick,
You don't have autopilot?  I see you only have 3 units across the top.  Maybe you have it mounted elsewhere?
Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD

Steve_in_lex

Thanks everyone, this is really helpful to hear of different approaches and considerations.  Keep 'em coming.  Cmain, where did you get the 5-unit pod?  Is it readily available?
Steve Saudek
2005 C-34 MK II
"Brisa"

cmainprize

Steve, I got the Nav pod from defender last winter. I think it is model GP1171.  Not sure if it is still in production or not.  If you go to the nav pod website you will find just about any combination or size you want.  It was a perfect fit for a C80 and 4 ST 60's.  The usable surface is available for each modal, then you get to figure out what layout you want.  I printed out the templates for each of my units and arranged it how I wanted on my kitchen table then found the mount to fit.  I had to have a new pedestal guard made $175 and the nav pod was around $450.  If you have the guard off ditch the crappy plastic guard feet that edson uses get some stainless ones and remove the core material from the cockpit sole and seal it with epoxy at the same time.  We have been working on removing all potential exposed core material from every fitting on the boat.  This will be the winter I will have the rest of them done.  I have done over 70 holes so far, I think we have about 80 more to go.
Cory Mainnprize
Mystic
Hull # 1344
M35
Midland Ontario

Fred Koehlmann

Cory, that's a sweet setup. I can imagine the fun of pulling all the cable up throught the guard pipes. It was work enough for the plotter connections.

Roc, yes we have an autopilot, located on the port cockpit side, with the remote VHF mike. That is why I want the mike relocated, but I not as fussed about "Auto", as we affectionatly call him.  :D