cracks inside

Previous topic - Next topic

anaisdog

https://www.flickr.com/photos/10826951@N04/14749268420/in/photostream/ -is a crack, starboard side, at the plexi and https://www.flickr.com/photos/10826951@N04/14935925145/in/photostream/ is the inside, from where the old vetus vent was.  the cabin top bulged out.  Do i just let it dry and replace the rotted wood with West system?  I'm unclear what I do, with the first picture  I've never repaired the plastic on the inside before. What do I use?

thanks in advance

becki kain
hull 99, detroit, 1986
Hull #99, c34, 1986, Detroit Yacht Club

lazybone

First pic looks like a leak and the crack was caused by trapped water freezing.
Ciao tutti

S/V LAZYBONES  #677

anaisdog

Stu Jackson

Quote from: anaisdog on August 17, 2014, 07:37:23 AM
ideas on fixing?

Depends on the condition of what is underneath, which the pictures can't tell us.

You may want to invest in one of the handiest books around for simple fix-its that I've found, ever.  Don Casey's This Old Boat.  There's a 3rd Edition out, but the 2nd edition could most likely be found for a song, and all the basics are there; the only thing that is wrong with the book is the electrical system chapter, but that's not why you're buying the book anyway.

Good luck, Becki.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Andrew Harvey

I have exactly the same crack in the vent hole. No idea where the leak was from. That being said the leak has stopped. I suspected the traveller so I rebedded it with butyl tape. I want to make sure there are no other sources.
I decided not to repair the crack as it is better to let the water drain out than trap it in the cabin top in the event there is another leak.
Andrew Harvey

Stu Jackson

Andrew's right, my experience was that a leak at the dorade hole was from the traveler, I, too, rebedded the traveler track and the leak stopped.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

anaisdog

I'm letting these cracks dry out before I do anything and I'll look into getting This old boat. thanks