Dimples in the cabin top

Previous topic - Next topic

anaisdog

I don't know what they are called but i have 4 (2 each on each side) of these drainage troughs (?) on the outside of my 1986, catalina 34.  they are about one inch deep, by 1 inch wide by about 2 inches long with a hole in them by the stanchions.  these things are always full of tree waste and water is pooling on the cabin top.  I'd like to figure out some way of blocking these off so the water doesn't pool and perhaps cause a leak.  Does anyone else have these and what did you do about them?  i was thinking of running old running rigging between the stanchions, to block these off.  other ideas?

thanks in advance

becki kain
hull 99 detroit
Hull #99, c34, 1986, Detroit Yacht Club

Stu Jackson

Not sure why you'd want to close the main deck drains, which is what they are.  The little hole from the "dimples" through the gunwale have, in very, very few cases, been reported to leak.  The "cure" is to simply slather some epoxy on the inside of the holes.  Another idea that a C42 skipper had was to stuff some clear hose into the holes so that the hose stuck out just enough to avoid the dirty water draining down the hull to avoid dark streaks.  I have found no need to do this in 16 years, 'cuz I simply clean the "dimples" with FSR every once in a while.  If tree stuff gets in yours, consider getting some simple screen material from ACE Hardware and get inventive in covering the four of them.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

lazybone

When mine clog the deck puddles badly.
Why would anyone purposely make this a permanent condition?
Ciao tutti

S/V LAZYBONES  #677

Ralph Masters

The clear plastic tubing stuck into these helps a bunch.  About 3 inches long is all you need to keep the black streak off the side of the boat.  I think Ron is the one who told me about that idea.

Ralph
Ralph Masters
Ciao Bella
San Diego
Hull 367, 1987

anaisdog

FSR?  and where am I putting the clear tubbing?  thanks

Stu Jackson

Fiberglas Stain Remover --  check any online chandlery for it.  It's one of the three or four cleaning materials you should consider a "must have" on your boat.

You stick the small tubing INTO the hole so a few inches stick outside the boat and it is flush with the inside of the hole.  The outside diameter of the tubing is the same size as the hole.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

anaisdog

I guess i'll need to take a picture to explain this.  tons of tree stuff gets stuck in this drain and backs up, pooling on the stanchions.  i want to fix that issue.

lazybone

Trees are nice.
If you want to keep your drains clear, don't park near them.
Ciao tutti

S/V LAZYBONES  #677

anaisdog

Andrew Harvey

Maybe it should just be a regular maintenance item to clear the drains every time you get to your slip.
Andrew Harvey

lazybone

I suppose you could cut out those sections of the toerail flush with the deck?  That's done on other boats.
You had better have some good glass and gellcoat  skills.
Ciao tutti

S/V LAZYBONES  #677

Ken Krawford

I had the same problems with debris clogging the drains in the toe rail.  I simply used a drill bit and enlarged the holes so that everything would drain through without clogging.  I sealed the cut surface with epoxy.
Ken Krawford
C350 Hull 351  2005 Universal M35B

anaisdog

do you have a picture of the enlarged holes with the epoxy?  thanks!

Ken Krawford

Sorry, I sold the boat 9 yrs ago.  :cry4`

Quote from: anaisdog on August 12, 2014, 05:49:26 AM
do you have a picture of the enlarged holes with the epoxy?  thanks!
Ken Krawford
C350 Hull 351  2005 Universal M35B

lazybone

Quote from: Ken Krawford on August 12, 2014, 03:37:24 AM
I had the same problems with debris clogging the drains in the toe rail.  I simply used a drill bit and enlarged the holes so that everything would drain through without clogging.  I sealed the cut surface with epoxy.

How large of a hole did you drill?
Ciao tutti

S/V LAZYBONES  #677