winter cover?

Previous topic - Next topic

anaisdog

I see one thread on this but nothing else, when I searched.  I'm in Detroit, we have vicious winters, I had shrink wrapped my 1986 34 Catalina for the two years which I've had her.  the first year was because everything leaked, I took all the stanchions off to let her dry out, second year, because I didn't yet have another plan for a cover.  What do people in the northern states do, if their boat goes on the hard, for the winter?  I met the owner of North Shore Canvas, at Strictly Sail Chicago, and wanted to know if anyone had strong feelings, one way or the other, about their covers.  Other ideas for the newbie?  thanks

becki kain
detroit
hull 99
Hull #99, c34, 1986, Detroit Yacht Club

Clay Greene

Becki,

We're in Wisconsin so I feel your pain about the winters, particularly last winter. 

The question you should ask yourself is how long you plan to keep this boat.  If more than three years, a cover is going to be the best option financially with shrink-wrapping running $600-$700 per year so I have been told.  I know that some people re-sue shrink-wrapping for a year or two so that could extend out the time that you would amortize the cost of the cover compared to shrink-wrapping.  A winter cover also becomes an asset that makes a boat more attractive to sell when it is time to move on. 

I also have been told that a winter cover is better for a boat because it allows the boat to "breathe."  Mold can be a problem with shrink-wrapping because it is too effective in trapping air.  Covers also are better for the environment - I didn't like the idea of throwing all that plastic away with the knowledge it most likely was going into a landfill. 

One consideration with a cover is that it commits you to storing the boat either mast up or mast down unless you want to do an expensive modification to the cover. 

We had the cover for our C34 made for us by Boat Tailors here in Wisconsin.  It was a nice cover and lasted us for seven years with some minor repair jobs.  It included a wooden frame that was a pain to install and store.  When we bought our C387 last summer, I had a cover made by The Canvas Store in New York.  I like this cover better.  The material  is thicker and there is no frame.  It weathered last winter without any problems. 

Hope that helps!

1989, Hull #873, "Serendipity," M25XP, Milwaukee, Wisconsin

anaisdog

thanks!  i just emailed "the canvas store" about a cover.

lazybone

I've cobbled together blue tarps and scrap wood.
I've had an expensive custom canvas cover made.
I've had her shrink wrapped.

The blue tarps are tedious, labor intensive and rarely outlived the winter.
The custom cover was wonderful, easy to install, lasted for 7yrs. But was very expensive.
Shrink wrap cost more than blue tarps but easily held up till spring. (I installed the supports for the SR installer.)

For the last half dozen years I have been installing my own shrink wrap.
Ciao tutti

S/V LAZYBONES  #677

Jim Hardesty

Becki,
I'm in Erie,Pa and I think that boats should be covered for the winter.  The worst thing is the freeze-thaw cycle.  If there are any leaks the water gets in, freezes, expands possibly making the leak worse then thaws.  This happens over and over.
Shrink wrap is good, use white to work under it .  The only problem is if you are like me and like to sail in the late fall.  The weather may not give you many good days to shrink wrap.    

Decide on what you want in a cover.
1) mast up, down, or work both ways.
2) access to the boat, it's cold but I do a lot of projects under a my cover
3) ease of assemble, full one piece covers need a crew, do mine alone in a few hours including the frame and I'm slow
4) don't have a cover that uses the stantions for support.  the wind, snow load will bend or cause them to leak

I have a full cover with a full frame, goes to the water line, made by Custom Covers from Buffalo.  It came with the boat.  I like it but they are expensive.
Some friends got tired of shrink wrap and just ordered from www.shipshapecovers.com  looks like a good cover.

Damn I don't want to think about winter yet.
Jim

Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

anaisdog

why store mast down?  just curious.  i had to do it the first year because I had to take the mast down for inspection and to rebed the chainplates.  is there another reason to store mast down?  seems like a royal PIA

Clay Greene

The two reasons I was told to store with the mast down are, 1) as you suggested, to inspect and fix any issues with the standing rigging, mast attachments, lights, etc., and 2) because it is supposed to be better for the boat because it is not absorbing the additional wind loads from the mast and rigging. 

The three reasons not to store with the mast down are, 1) the PIA from having to re-rig your boat every spring, 2) the cost is considerable, and 3) the potential for damage to either the mast or your boat from the process of pulling the mast and re-installing it in the spring. 

My guesstimate is that about 70 percent of the sailboats in our yard store with mast up.  For those boats, I would say that cost is the primary reason.  We stored our C34 with the mast down and we store our C387 with the mast up and I pay less in storage now than I did before. 

anaisdog

huh.  we can take our masts down ourselves, and store it, for free.  you just need help with the mast, of course.  but man, PIA.  anyway, thanks for any ideas on covers. 

Footloose

Three years ago, after ten years of shrink wrap, I bought a custom cover for the same reasons sited above, plus the yard would put the wrap on so tight that it would bend the stantions or break the seal and they would then need to be rebidded.  Now I have no mold in the spring and washing the boat goes much faster.  Mine has aluminum bows that hold the canvas up.  
Dave G.
"Footloose"
Hull# 608  1988 Tall Rig/Fin Keel
Malletts Bay, VT- Lake Champlain

anaisdog

tommyt

The TOP SHOP in Kingston, Ontario makes a great canvas cover. It can be made for mast up or down, but you have to pick one or the other unless you want to have it recut. Aluminum frame, two section canvas. No mold or problems with boat (covered to waterline) in 11 years.

The tarp does need to have heavy snows knocked off of it. In lower Michigan it should not be an issue unless you get a major dump...especially wet stuff. My boat was in Traverse City, but we get a lot more snow on average than you do.

Not cheap....but I am not a fan of shrink wrap unless there are lots of vents.
Tom Mallery, C34 #1697, 2004 MKII, Splash Dance

Footloose

Mine was also made by Top Shop.  Not a perfect fit, but it works well in Vermont winters.  Never had a problem with snow not sliding off.  If you order in the spring there is a discount.  Also, I ordered with a friend a saved on shipping.
Dave G.
"Footloose"
Hull# 608  1988 Tall Rig/Fin Keel
Malletts Bay, VT- Lake Champlain

Phil Spicer

Becki, We made a frame from 2" PVC pipe. The frame has posts at each stanchion & a horz. rail on those posts to keep weight off of the stanchions....21 years & no leaks. The frame held the old heavy tarp until the tarp was beyond help. Then my wife & I sewed a new cover. Made it in 3 sections so I could lift it. The sections zip together. The fabric is "Top Notch" seconds. The seconds may have a change in color, or be wider than standard...But it's a boat cover. Still keeps out the snow & rain.
   We are on Sandusky Bay, just south of you on Lake Erie.
   Yes, you need a winter cover.
   We store mass down so cover goes on easy. Just un roll bow to stern & zip together. Zipper down the back to get in & out.

Just our solution
Phil & Marsha,Sandusky Sailing Club. Steamboat is #789,tall/wing-Unv M25XP/Hurth ZF 50 trans.

Phil Spicer

The big pocket in the bow is to cover the anchor platform
Phil & Marsha,Sandusky Sailing Club. Steamboat is #789,tall/wing-Unv M25XP/Hurth ZF 50 trans.

Clay Greene

If you can afford it, a cover that goes down to the waterline is preferable.  Our covers have only gone below the rubrail and every spring it is a chore getting the black lines off the topsides from the water that drains off the cover down the lines that secure the cover to the cradle.