Cutless Bearing

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken Juul

I noticed some movement last fall before we headed south.  2600 motoring miles later, cleaning the prop a couple weeks ago the movement was too much.  Vibration underway was also quite noticeable. Had the boat pulled for a short hall, changed the cutless in the slings.  What a difference :D The old bearing was rubber in a fiberglass shell.  The yard manager said he hasn't seen one of those in decades.  Can't complain, if OEM, it lasted  23+ years.  But happy it is changed.

The yard estimated 3 hours labor.  I got the tool from Flt 12 and had the job done in about 1+15.  It seems daunting, but is actually very straight forward.  Thank you for those that have documented the process.  You pictures and text was invaluable.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

stevewitt1

Ken

I checked my cutlass bearing this spring the day before launch.  noticed some little signs of age on rubber but no slack or play.  It will be changed at haul-out this year.  Good preemptive maintenance that's easier done before its a problem.

Steve

Ron Hill

Guys : It sure is nice to have a C34 Fleet 12 "Tool Chest", for members to borrow from!!

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

sailr4

Hey guys!  Just joined the group after recently purchasing #889.  Im going to be changing the cutless when I haul out this winter/spring.  How do I access the FLt 12 tool box?  Id love to borrow that bearing removal tool (and know what else is available).

Rob Fowler
1989 C34 #889
Pax River, MD
Rob Fowler,1989 C34 #889 Tall/Wing, M25XP - No Worries, Coronado, CA

I'd rather be in a boat with a drink on the rocks, than in the drink with a boat on the rocks.

stevewitt1

Rob
if you're replied to via email, please forward to me.  I'd like to get mine changed before the weather gets too cold here.  

Sorta brings a tear to your eye, doesn't it?  All covered up and no where to go.....

Steve

Visit us at www.ocontoyachtclub.com  and  www.warbirdsix.com

KWKloeber

Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain