Anchor Light Replacement LED Bulb

Previous topic - Next topic

DMorri3035

I have a 1990 C34 that I want to replace the original anchor light bulb with a new LED bulb in the same fixture.  Does anyone know what type of bulb is in there now.

Gary

I did do an LED anchor light replacement but I am sorry, just cannot remember the exact numbers for that bulb.  Here is the source I used for that anchor light as well as interior cabin lights. The anchor light is highly visible and very low current draw <www.doctorled.com> !

The anchor light was polarity sensitive and would not work if not installed with correct positive and negative orientation.

Best suggestion is to to pull your bulb and do an exact replacement.

Gary
Gary Ambrose
Kije #215
1986 Fin Keel
Falmouth Foreside, ME

Craig Illman

karista

Quote from: DMorri3035 on October 14, 2014, 05:02:39 PM
I have a 1990 C34 that I want to replace the original anchor light bulb with a new LED bulb in the same fixture.  Does anyone know what type of bulb is in there now.

My 1990 original Anchor Light is a Whitecap Model S-110-C. you can look up the spec's on Defenders site.
It has a 3 Watt Series 90 bulb, which you can buy at any Auto Parts Store.. You may want to purchase a new replacement Anchor Light (only $12) as most likely your seal and lens will need to be replaced.
If you want to use a LED Bulb then you will be limited in height as the lens dome is not very high and will not accept most LED's.
Your best bet is to purchase a new replacement light then find a LED that will fit, then go up the mast, install the new LED, SEAL and Lens, all in one trip up!
Bernd, 1990- Hull 1012, Gulfport, FL

Ron Hill

DMorri : The first thing that you need to know is the bulb base of the anchor light bulb that you now have. (bayonet?/festoon?/screw in?, double base contact?/single base contact?)

If you have a half dome anchor light fixture, you might want to purchase a new fixture that raises the light up a few inches so it can really be seen from 2 miles away!!

A few thoughts

Ron, Apache #788

karista

Quote from: Ron Hill on October 15, 2014, 02:46:39 PM
DMorri : The first thing that you need to know is the bulb base of the anchor light bulb that you now have. (bayonet?/festoon?/screw in?, double base contact?/single base contact?)

If you have a half dome anchor light fixture, you might want to purchase a new fixture that raises the light up a few inches so it can really be seen from 2 miles away!!

A few thoughts

The bulb on my original 1990 Anchor light is a Bayonet, double contact 3 Watt Series 90 bulb.
I agree with Ron that the half dome Anchor light is low, but that is what Catalina installed and has worked ok for 24 years, and its a lot easier to simply replace the bulb and lens if needed when on top of the mast then rewire and drill mounting holes for a new fixture.
Bernd, 1990- Hull 1012, Gulfport, FL

Jack Hutteball

I have the same anchor light on our 2001 MK ll.  I simply replaced it with an LED that I picked up from the boat show.  Simply matched the bottom of the lamp I had.  Only problem I have is that when the Coast Guard gives me my annual safety inspection, they have a difficult time seeing the light from the dock.

Jack
Jack and Ruth Hutteball
Mariah lll, #1555, 2001
Anacortes, Washington