excessive cranking - now cooling issues

Previous topic - Next topic

day dreamer

Hi all,

searched the forum for a few hours and can t find the answer ...   anyone help ??

I wrongly over cranked the engine thinking key on + alarm was warming the glow plugs ...  then realised spring pressure was needed to warm plugs ...    ENGINE STARTED !   great

however once started ... I no longer have coolant coming out of exhaust.  Is this a result of over cranking ?  would just cranking damage the impeller ?

water enters the filter after sea cock so took off input hose to impeller and filled it with water and replaced --  no luck ---    don t have a small pump handy to prime ...  one owner has suggested taking off outlet hose to impeller and starting ...    good idea ?

before I was cranking with the sea cock closed to avoid flooding ..   and opened the butterfly valve - a small flow came out ...   but dont understand it s function ...   does it drain the muffler ... ?

what next  ?

txs

Ron Hill

DD : I could say "stop day dreaming" while you are starting the engine, but I won't!!

I wrongly over cranked the engine thinking key on + alarm was warming the glow plugs ...  then realised spring pressure was needed to warm plugs ...    ENGINE STARTED !   great The glow plugs are activated by the far right (clockwise turn) spring loaded turn position of the key.

however once started ... I no longer have coolant coming out of exhaust.  Is this a result of over cranking ?  would just cranking damage the impeller ?  If the thru hull was not open, it not a good idea to turn over the engine and crank a dry raw water pump.  You could have damaged the impeller and you need to inspect the impeller.  If blades are missing you need to find them so first look in the metal outlet elbow of the pump exhaust.

water enters the filter after sea cock so took off input hose to impeller and filled it with water and replaced --  no luck ---    don t have a small pump handy to prime ...  one owner has suggested taking off outlet hose to impeller and starting ...    good idea ?  Not necessary to take the that hose off, but you may need to fill that intake raw water hose to the pump.  To prime the intake hose turn off the thru hull, remove the intake hose from the pump, fill it with water by holding it up high, then reattach hose, open thru hull and then crank engine                    

before I was cranking with the sea cock closed to avoid flooding ..   and opened the butterfly valve - a small flow came out ...   but dont understand it s function ...   does it drain the muffler ... ?  That valve drains the muffler and all of your cranking emptied most of the water in the muffler

what next  ?  I'd look at/replace the impeller, fill the intake hose , use the glow plugs and try starting the engine
[/font]
Ron, Apache #788

Ken Juul

Don't feel bad.  Typical new owner BTDT.  The warning about excessive cranking without starting is about filling up the muffler, if this happens, it is possible for water to backflow into the engine via the exhaust.  You have drained the muffler, don't need to worry about that.

You need to inspect the input side of the raw water system.   
1. Close the seacock. 
2. Remove the strainer and make sure it is clean.  With the strainer off, open the seacock, if you don't get a rush of water the thru hull is clogged. If the thru hull is clogged, close the seacock and remove the input hose, open the seacock and use a dowel or long phillips screwdriver to remove the clog.
3.  If it is not the thru hull then with the seacock closed, reassemble the strainer, don't tighten fully, open the seacock until the strainer is full.  Tighten the strainer until the leaking stops, then close the seacock. Then move to the next piece of the system, the water pump, open it up and inspect the impeller.
4. If vanes are cracked or missing, replace the impeller.  If missing find the missing pieces.  They will be somewhere between the pump and the heat exchanger (HX).  It may be necessary to remove the end cap off the HX if you don't find anything in the elbow or hose.
5. Put everyback together.  It is always a good idea to lube the impeller with silicone or vegtable oil.  Last step is to remove the imput hose from the pump and fill with water...doesn't take much...maybe a cup and a half.  When full, hold your thumb over the end and reconnect to the pump.
5.  open seacock and start engine...everything should be working normally.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

day dreamer

here s a pic

looks pretty  toast ---   txs  guys  !!

Footloose

That impeller is beyond toast, more like burnt to a crisp.  I highly doubt you did that by excessively cranking or even running dry for a minute.  Glad you found the problem
Dave G.
"Footloose"
Hull# 608  1988 Tall Rig/Fin Keel
Malletts Bay, VT- Lake Champlain

Ron Hill

DD : WOW - from the picture, you have found your problem!!
Ron, Apache #788

Ralph Masters

Take some Shoe Goo and build those flaps up just a bit and it'll be good to go for another 100 hours I'm sure.
I have a complete rebuild kit in the back of the Jeep that I need to put in my old pump some day.
I replaced it with a rebuilt one I got from an old salt name of Ron Hill and it's been running GREAT for almost a year, thank you Ron.

Ralph
Ralph Masters
Ciao Bella
San Diego
Hull 367, 1987

Ken Juul

Nasty.

You need to determine why it happened.  You need to find all the lost pieces.

Don't lose another good boat day to engine problems.

In case you didn't understand from the previous post....Been ThereDoneThat.   :D
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA