replacing VETUS cowl vents

Previous topic - Next topic

anaisdog

Hello all - first post here.  I have a 1986 34 (hull 99) and it has the 4 inch (Tom model) VETUS cowl vents on it.  I read the article here, about replacing them and my first question is why do they all freeze (as listed in the article)?  Secondly, should I replace with the same model or is there a better idea, for a vent?  I already replaced the Nicro vent fans with the solar version, in the head and in the aft cabin so I have air moving around.

thank you.  lots more questions

becki kain
detroit, mi
Hull #99, c34, 1986, Detroit Yacht Club

Les Luzar

Mine were never frozen, but they were really weathered and discolored. So I replaced them with new cowl vents from Vetus. I chose the "Tom" model. Another C-34 that I know, installed the stainless steel ones. Some others have removed them all together. It is simply your preference. I myself, have not seen any other alternatives. It is however, your personal choice.
Les Luzar
#355    1987
Windshadow
Long Beach, CA

anaisdog

Did you replace the dorado box and the cowl?  Is the actual mechanism part of the box or part of the cowl or sold separately?  There seem to be no instructions, on line, even from VETUS, about their installation and since the PO had installed the solar fans upsidedown, it would not surprise me if my cowl vents are just installed wrong as well.  thank you

Stu Jackson

August 2005 Tech Notes has an article on dorade/cowl replacement
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Les Luzar

I just replaced my cowl's, which are simply wind scoops and simple to replace. All of the mechanisms are inside the dorade box. 
Les Luzar
#355    1987
Windshadow
Long Beach, CA

sailaway

Becki I replaced my old vetus  cowls with new vetus cowls . With in 3 yrs they where discolored an look terrible.  They were the white plastic ones Charlie

lazybone

Ciao tutti

S/V LAZYBONES  #677

Stu Jackson

Cleaning?  "Paint Brush & Cleaner" from ACE Hardware.  Also great for fenders, better and easier than acetone.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

anaisdog

I will get that, thank you.  It was in that article where I read "they all freeze" so I was wondering why they froze but I'll just replace them once I get all the leaks fixed.  thanks

pjcomeau

If your happy with your dorade and cowl vents, then you can just replace the "mushroom vents" (allot cheaper). Mine were all corroded and were not opening/closing properly. I replaced mine (the dorade/cowl were in good enough shape).

The trick was to match up the Vetus parts (TOM is used for Cowl and Dorade, but for some reason use Athos for the mushroom alone). All you do is match cutout openings from the TOM Darade to the Athos mushroom vent.

http://www.defender.com/product3.jsp?path=-1|6880|2290139|2290143&id=1634207
http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?path=-1|6880|2290139|2290147&id=1646962
Pierre Comeau
Time To Keel, 1988 #687  Saint John, NB Canada

anaisdog

THANKS!  I wasn't even certain what to call these things so I wasn't certain what to look up.  yes both the cowl and the dorado box are fine, just dirty.  so based on this:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/10826951@N04/14688343764/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/10826951@N04/14710608743/in/photostream/
it looks like i have the 6inch one and i can just replace the inner mushroom not the whole thing.  I still can't figure out how this thing actually stays open but I'll install and see.  what did you use to bed it?  I know butyl is big in some circles.  thanks

Stu Jackson

Becky, the tech note I referenced discusses that the best way to keep the old internal metal parts, and to service them, is from the top, not below.  Take the whole shegang off and you will see what's there.  There are also pictures in that article.

anaisdog

thanks Stu, there is no servicing these puppies.  for unknown reasons, the screw is all bashed up, on both, so the thing won't stay up.  BUT i'd much rather spend 65 each, for new innards that 220 each, for the whole thing!

Ken Juul

I can think of very few reasons why you would want the dorades closed. In a decade plus of ownership the only time I've closed mine was when I bug bombed the boat.   Air movement is good.  If the horns are in good shape, just remove the insides and enjoy.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

lazybone

I close them when the AC is running.
Ciao tutti

S/V LAZYBONES  #677