Heat Exchanger Failure

Previous topic - Next topic

mark_53

I checked my coolant level over the weekend to discover that seawater had replaced the nice green colored antifreeze in the engine.  I drained and flushed the water heater hoses and the engine, then removed the HX.  Seems like a sure sign the heat exchanger has failed.  I was wondering if there is any other way salt water can get into the cooling system?  Do I need to have it pressure tested or just do the replacement.

Les Luzar

Mark,.
I think that your heat exchanger has deteriorated to the point where salt water is infiltrating into your coolant system. I had a C-34 dock neighbor, who has a 1988 model, where this happed to him recently as well. His issue was a deteriorated heat exchanger. In his case, I believe that this was caused by not using zincs in his engine and the consequence was that his heat exchanger deteriorated, although that heat exchanger was 25 years old (could have been that as well). Also,  his thermostat was filled with crud, so it might be a good idea to inspect your thermostat as well. In my opinion, you should buy a new heat exchanger, install it, and you should be good to go.
Les Luzar
#355    1987
Windshadow
Long Beach, CA

Stu Jackson

Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

mark_53

Thanks for the suggestions.  I will have to pay much closer attention to the pencil zincs in the future.  I ended up going with this one...
http://www.mrcool.us/299835cn-universal-westerbeke-medalist-heat-exchanger.html