Sad about the C-36 forum...

Previous topic - Next topic

mainesail

It is very, very frustrating to see the C-36 guys lock everyone out of their forum. I personally think this is as crazy as a can of rocks, but I digress.

Forums are meant to share, research and/or learn about a particular boat. I often popped in there and would help folks out if I knew the issue, and I know the C-36 quite well. I will no longer go there until they open it back up to everyone.

Most owners association forums are OPEN TO EVERYONE, if you register. Cape Dory, Ericson, Island Packet, Oday, CS Yachts, Nonsuch, Most all Catalina's, Tartan etc. etc. etc... Heck I've not come across any power boat brands that lock down list serves or forums and some are as good as C-34 & C-36...... (yes guys I do work on the dark side too)

The forums or list serve groups help SUPPORT the model or brand and help keep values UP! My brother recently bought an Albin 28 power boat. He bought it because of the forum support and knowledge base he was allowed into, as a NON-MEMBER...... He spent weeks reading the forums and doing research, because he COULD. He is now an Albin owner and good contributing member.

Potential buyers come to research, owners of other brands google search and find out the C-36 used XXX motor and while there they see an issue they resolved and post about it. Owners of C-36's benefit from having open access, as do others in the general sailing community.

It is tremendously sad that the C-36 association forum has become a C-36 "exclusive" Country Club.

Locking a model or brand forum down is simply bad business IMHO.. I owned a C-36 so don't need any info from the site, but I still find it very frustrating for the future of the organization.

Please C-34 don't take the route the C-36 org has..... Sad day!!!

"Newbie here I am looking to buy a C-36. Knock, knock, knock.... Hmm they won't let me in?? Oh hello C-34 what a great group of guys and gals I think I will buy a C-34 and NOT a C-36..."

Sorry for the rant... Now have at me.... :D

-Maine Sail
Casco Bay, ME
Boat - CS-36T

https://marinehowto.com/

lazybone

Its all about the people in charge.

We are blessed to have a few great people looking after this place.
Ciao tutti

S/V LAZYBONES  #677

Ted Pounds

Maine Sail,
I think I speak for everyone here when I say thank you for hanging out with us.   :D  I'm pretty sure you (and everyone else) will always be welcome here.
Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447

Stu Jackson

I wrote about this in great detail to our Officers and our Board weeks ago.

We agree.

Nuts.

What none of you know (and now do) is that the C36 Board made both Maine Sail and me "honorary Members" so we could continue to contribute.

I think not.

Foolish and childish.

They messed up BIG time.  The few folks who made the decision are now in the process of defending themselves, along with a post from one of them: "the webmaster is away on personal business but she'll address your issues when she returns."

Look, folks, our job is not to knock other forums.  I hesitated to even write to our Officers & Board, but since many of us have contributed there and some of them visit here, I thought it wise to let our leaders know how misguided the C36 actions are.

Their website, their choice.

Makes no sense to me or any of us.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

mainesail

Quote from: Stu Jackson on June 24, 2014, 09:47:05 PM

What none of you know (and now do) is that the C36 Board made both Maine Sail and me "honorary Members" so we could continue to contribute.

I think not.

Foolish and childish.

They messed up BIG time.  The few folks who made the decision are now in the process of defending themselves, along with a post from one of them: "the webmaster is away on personal business but she'll address your issues when she returns."

Look, folks, our job is not to knock other forums.  I hesitated to even write to our Officers & Board, but since many of us have contributed there and some of them visit here, I thought it wise to let our leaders know how misguided the C36 actions are.

Their website, their choice.

Makes no sense to me or any of us.

This is true but I though it not all that necessary to bring up in my post in regards to their decision.. I am not going there because I think their decisions are short sided and will come at the cost of the C-36 organization as a whole. I will not participate as an "honorary member" unless everyone can...

The big question is where does a prospective buyer now find information, dip toes into the organization to get a feel, while researching the C-36????? Sad really....

The C-34 and C-36 boards are some of the best owners associations out there. "Country Clubbing" the C-36 forum I find short sided... Sure lock down the rest of the site, but folks need to test drive when researching.....

Another point is that posts that have been public domain for years, and in google searches, are no no longer avaible for the buying public to see.
-Maine Sail
Casco Bay, ME
Boat - CS-36T

Ralph Masters

Mainsail has a good point.  We are, and have been C34 owners for 5 years now because of the information I was able to get on the boat class BEFORE we bought and joined.

Great boat, great group, and thank you for your information mainsail.

Ralph
Ralph Masters
Ciao Bella
San Diego
Hull 367, 1987

jfssail

Mainesail, thanks for posting your concerns regarding the C36 site. I had been a member of C36 for 10 years, usually check both C34 and C36 sites every day. I agree with you entirely regarding the lock-out of all but members at C36.
My membership just expired at C36, do not plan to renew. In fact I have used this site free for 10 years now and feel that I should now become a C34 member.

Jack F Stewart
1993 C36#1233 "Windancer"
Port Clinton, OH
Jack F Stewart
1993 C36 #1233 "Windancer"
Port Clinton, OH

kwaltersmi

I wondered what was going on over there when I browsed over yesterday. Seems like it might die a slow death if it stays locked down.
'87 C34 TR/WK M25XPB
SailFarLiveFree

Craig Illman

When I had my C34, I also joined the C36 group as an associate member because I felt I got a lot of value from their forum because of the commonality of the two models. That said, I agree that it's still short-sighted on their part to restrict access. It will likely decrease the value, in some manner or fashion, of their yachts.

my two cents.....

Stu Jackson

Quote from: mainesail on June 25, 2014, 06:08:35 AM

This is true but I though it not all that necessary to bring up in my post in regards to their decision.. I am not going there because I think their decisions are short sided and will come at the cost of the C-36 organization as a whole. I will not participate as an "honorary member" unless everyone can...

Only reason I mentioned it at all is because it's yet another example of how shortsighted it is, to say nothing of disparaging many, many other valuable contributors or who may have had C36s or who just went there to learn and to help.

As far as I know, we're the only two and, like you, I won't be contributing.

As I mentioned earlier, I've written to the Officers & Board of our C34 International Association, but I have no plans to write to the C36 Board.  I think it would be extremely inappropriate.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Kevin Henderson

Really too bad and I don't know what I would do if this Board made the same terrible decision.  Knowledge is meant to be shared... .  we all benefit from similar experiences. 
At one time I would also frequent the C36 board since many issues were similar between the two boats.  In fact there was an excellent periodic maintenance log that was available to see and adopt for use.  It's the same maintenance system that I use today on Pau Hana. 
And Mainsail???  It would be a terrible misfortune if we were to ever lose your invaluable input here!

Hopefully the folks in charge of the C36 board come to their senses.   :abd:
The sail, the play of its pulse so like our own lives: so thin and yet so full of life, so noiseless when it labors hardest, so noisy and impatient when least effective.
~Henry David Thoreau

lazybone

It would be a useful to know what factors which caused the C36 board to round the wagons.  My suspicion is falling revenue due to shrinking membership.  It has been a few years since C36 production has stopped.

We might not agree with their model but it could be working.

Whatever problems they might or might not have will have to be faced by C34 bb.
Ciao tutti

S/V LAZYBONES  #677

Clay Greene

I am sure their thinking is that they will force new owners to join in order to access the content.  But I think it is more likely that a new owner would choose not to join because they have no idea how good the content is.  As everyone else has noted, it also bars contributions from non-C36 owners, which is really short-sighted.  Many of the issues we deal with are common to all larger Catalinas or just boats in general, so a C34 owner, for example, may have some valuable insight.

1989, Hull #873, "Serendipity," M25XP, Milwaukee, Wisconsin

Roc

The C34 has been out of production for a while too and I don't see any reduction in site use.  Seems pretty much the same to me. Actually, I notice many new names on the posts. 
Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD

mainesail

Quote from: Roc on June 26, 2014, 08:34:25 AM
The C34 has been out of production for a while too and I don't see any reduction in site use.  Seems pretty much the same to me. Actually, I notice many new names on the posts. 

Same with the C-30, Cape Dory, Ericson etc. etc. etc......
-Maine Sail
Casco Bay, ME
Boat - CS-36T