Raymarine ST4000 MK2 Autopilot Gearbox info?

Previous topic - Next topic

Allatsea

Hi all,
Well, my  Raymarine ST4000 MK2 Autopilot gearbox has decided to quit - 3 of the nine plastic gears stripped.
Before parting with $$$ for a new gearbox (if I can find one), maybe somebody knows where I can get some replacement gears?
Raymarine would not have made the gearbox themselves, so does anyone have an idea who manufactured it?
The motor is a Mabuchi RS-555-SH but it looks like they didn't manufacture the gearbox.
Any info would be most welcome.
Btw, in my search I have turned up parts list, diagrams, etc of the ST4000 MK2 - pm me for a copy.
Here's hoping....

Mick Laver

Allatsea - I've found the Raymarine technical forum an excellent source for this kind of question. They're at http://raymarine.ning.com/forum. They've helped me with all sorts of oddball things, from getting waypoints from a Mac application into a Ray MFD to rebuilding a ST4000 when all the ball bearings spilled out. They may take a day or two to answer, but they've always been very helpful.
Mick and Sherrie Laver
CINNAMON
1999 C34 Mk II #1432
San Diego, CA

Indian Falls

Somewhere in this forum I came across a topic that gave the contact info for a former Ray Marine tech who is continuing to service the obsolete 3000 and 4000.  I wish I had the time to look it up, but if you keep searching for auto helm you may find it.
Dan & Dar
s/v Resolution, 1990 C34 997
We have enough youth: how about a fountain of "smart"?

Stu Jackson

Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Allatsea

Thanks to all of you that replied. Capn Dan on sailnet.com has pointed me to http://kimbroughracingproducts.com/store/index.php?dispatch=products.view&product_id=29872 which looks like it will do the job with minor modification. I have ordered some and eagerly await their arrival.
Hope this info is useful to others.
cheers