changing out my Racor filter

Previous topic - Next topic

Stu Jackson

http://www.westmarine.com/fuel-accessories/sierra--shut-off-valve-2-way-1-4-fnpt-male-male-universal--14605299

West Marine stocks their version of this <$10 valve for $40

http://www.westmarine.com/west-marine/west-marine--shut-off-valves--P013854773

They come in different sizes and you can get them for the 3/8" fuel hose on our boats.

There's also this older post:

Complete Fuel Filtration

http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,1213.0.html
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ron Hill

Guys : The Sierra valve that Stu shows is one similar to what I have.  Mine has a 3/8" hose barb on the right end and threaded NPT on the left side. 

So just screw the valve into the inlet of the Racor top and the fuel hose into the other end!!  Now you have a fuel cutoff that easy to reach.

Word of caution - don't forget to turn the valve back ON after changing the filter!!  You'd be surprised how long the engine will run, BUT it is assured to quit from fuel starvation just as you are entering your slip!!  Believe ME!!!!
Ron, Apache #788

chuck53

Quote from: Ron Hill on May 30, 2014, 05:18:43 PM
Pat & Chuck : Let us know how much maneuvering you can do with a boat hook thru the door opening under the head sink - aught to be some interesting gyrations.

I have no intention of using a boat hook or similar device to turn off the valve.  As I said, it needs the dexterity of a hand to open and close.

chuck53

OK, one more question....the PO left me lots of good infomaion when we bought the boat.  Included was a good list of parts, filters, belts, etc.
He listed the Racor filter as a R125UL.  I can't find that number anywhere.  Is it an old number they no longer use?  When I look at the filter, there's no part number listed, at least on the side I can see.  Obviously, I don't want the take that filter off until I have a replacement. 
Any suggestions?

Stu Jackson

Quote from: chuck53 on June 01, 2014, 06:21:28 PM
When I look at the filter, there's no part number listed, at least on the side I can see.  Obviously, I don't want the take that filter off until I have a replacement. 
Any suggestions?

Have you considered using a mirror and a flashlight?
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

chuck53

Quote from: Stu Jackson on June 01, 2014, 06:43:24 PM
Quote from: chuck53 on June 01, 2014, 06:21:28 PM
When I look at the filter, there's no part number listed, at least on the side I can see.  Obviously, I don't want the take that filter off until I have a replacement. 
Any suggestions?

Have you considered using a mirror and a flashlight?

Yes, I have.  Just haven't had the chance.

Clay Greene

The Racor on our 1989 C34 was a 220 Spin-on model that took R24 filters.  I've attached the Parker brochure for this model.  No way to tell if this is the right model and filter for your boat without seeing it. 
1989, Hull #873, "Serendipity," M25XP, Milwaukee, Wisconsin

chuck53

Thanks claygr, but that doesn't look like mine.  next weekend I'll try to get my hands on a small mirror (I guess I forgot to put one in my toolbox) and try to see if there are any part numbers on the backside of my filter.  if there's no info on the filter, I'll pull out my Instamatic and take a couple of photos.

BillG

think  my handwriting needs improvement, I think that should read R12S   NOT  R125, not sure what the UL is, don't have that in my old maintenance log,  just checked and they have them at west marine
Bill
Rock Hall, MD

chuck53

Quote from: BillG on June 03, 2014, 04:53:27 PM
think  my handwriting needs improvement, I think that should read R12S   NOT  R125, not sure what the UL is, don't have that in my old maintenance log,  just checked and they have them at west marine

Bill, thanks for the reply.  When I'm on the boat this weekend, I'll go back to your book and look again.

Edit,
I googled R12SUL and it popped up.  It is a legit number for a 2 micron filter and the picture looks right.  I'll check the book this weekend and try to find a small mirror to check the backside of the filter.  After reading various posts here on filtration, I think I will replace it with a 10 micron.

Stu Jackson

chuck, that "101 Topics" has some easy-to-find material, in addition to the Tech wiki

Fuel Filtration 101 (with both primary Racor and secondary engine filter identification) 
http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,1124.0.html and http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,6475.0.html